× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800/RAX15-1AZNAS Intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity issues

bhonaker
Guide

AX1800/RAX15-1AZNAS Intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity issues

Model isn't in the list above.  Wierd.

I am running the router in Access Point mode.  No 'Smart Connect'.  I am having issues with connectivity with 2 of the 7 Wi-Fi devices connecting to my AX1800. 

The Samsung Note 8 phone works great most of the time, but occasionally when I return to within range of the Netgear, it connects just fine to the 5 GHz channel, but no packets are sent upstream.  Therefore the device shows 'No Internet connection'.  I can switch the the 2.4 GHz radio and it works fine with no problem. Switching back allows to connect but still no IP traffic.

No errors in the logs on the upstream router or the Netgear.

Reboot of phone doesn't help.

Turning off the 5 GHz radio, and then turning it back on, clears the problem. Obviously, other devices connect to 5 GHz are bumped off.

The Ring Doorbell Pro (purchased soon after the Netgear) would never connect to the 5 GHz radio, even though it shows the SSID.  Holding a mobile phone next to the doorbell, I have no problem connecting to either band, and I get very good SpeedTest numbers.   The doorbell cam connects fine to the 2.4 GHz radio.  

However, it sometimes is inaccessible to the Ring app on the phone or to the Echo Show.  But in thesetimes, I can often connect to the 'Device Health' and it shows a good signal.  Ping from a laptop gives inconsistent results,  ranging from < 50 ms to over 5 seconds... and a lot of no-response pings.  Ring support told me to reset the doorbell and reconnect.  This sometimes works but is very inconvenient.  

Occasionally the Netgear log has the following message in the log for this device (MAC address masked out):

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC 08:3a:88:00:00:00, Monday, Nov 16,2020 14:19:05

According to tech support, this indicates poor internect connectivity.

If anyone is having similar issues with these types of devices please share.  If you solved one also, that would be even better!

Note that I've asked Tech Support but they don't seem interested in diagnosing the problem, they suggested I post here.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7