× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800 (RAX20) network speed testing results

wuzcsg
Tutor

AX1800 (RAX20) network speed testing results

Hi experts,

I am not sure why the testing results are so different. The same mobile, router (RAX20), ISP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.photo_2020-12-06 10.18.25.jpeg

photo_2020-12-06 09.59.27.jpegphoto_2020-12-06 09.59.23.jpeg

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: AX1800 (RAX20) network speed testing results

@wuzcsg wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not surprised at the speed between RAX20 and the internet, but my testing device (Samsung S20 FE even supports wifi 6), can only up to 177...

Before I used the older generation of Google Wifi (not the newer model, Nest) it can run to almost 700... 

Feel unacceptable that I bought a new router but my wifi speed downgraded from 6xx to 177... 

Thanks.

S20. What band is it connected to? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

If you look up what its link speeds are (which aren't throughput) what do they show? 

I was looking to see if the s20 was a 1x1 or 2x2 solution and couldn't find it after a brief search. That's why I ask about the link speed. 

Also the RAX20 is base model AX router. its a AX1800 device. The 5ghz is a 2x2 solution with 80hz frequency to hit that 1200mbps over 5ghz link speed. Again, link speed is not equal to throughput speed. its usually around 55-65% depending on efficiency. I'm also not sure what the s20 support for channel width. That can make a difference as well. 

the other though i had is what actual model google mesh did you have? The older version (testing through smallnetbuilder) only hit just under 500mbps under optimal conditions.  (https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33038-google-wifi-reviewed?showall=&start=...   

So without being there its tough to explain the 700mbps with the google wifi. Unless your testing hardwired. Then it'd have no issue. 

But again you can't compare wired speed to wireless speeds. 

A couple things you can try with the RAX.

Try testing it was ax disabled. see what speeds you get

disable smart connect to ensure you're connected to the 5ghz. see what speeds you get

try changing wireless channels to a different channel.

Also, check to ensure you have the 5ghz set to "up to 1200mbps" maybe its only broadcasting on 40hz wide channels for 5ghz.

Try a factory reset and clean install (not from backup). The RAX devices have responded favorably to factory reset/clean installs after firmware changes/upgrades. 

@michaelkenward Pretty sure you're way ahead of me on this.  I'm just throwing WAG's out there. 🙂 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
wuzcsg
Tutor

No idea why all my uploaded images are disabled...

Just provide the links as following:

Result used Nighthawk app: https://imgur.com/kYCOHve (745.45 Mbps)

Result used Speedtest app: https://imgur.com/0i5YzA4 (177 Mbps)

Result used fast.com: https://imgur.com/IXLAGqu (120 Mbps)

It shows result from nighthawk app is 4.x better than other 3rd party authorities, TBH I don't believe it... Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 8

@wuzcsg wrote:

No idea why all my uploaded images are disabled...

They aren't disabled. They need moderator approval. Or attach them to a message.

How are you doing these tests?

Speed tests carried out on the device use the wired connection, even when you are using a wifi client to tell the router to run the test. These are inevitably faster than anything done with wifi.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

When you test off the nighthawk app, it hosts the test directly off the router. Its not always accurate as the built in speedtest on that one doesn't always choose the best server. But is going to be faster than wireless as its basically testing a hardwired connection. 

When you run it off your phone/pc it depends on how its connected to the router. wireless is going to be slower than wired and 2.4ghz is much much slower than 5ghz. 

And it depends on what device your testing on.  A device that only has a 1x1 antenna is going to be half the speed of a 2x2 device. 

so without more details, its tough to tell you any accuracy. 

Message 4 of 8
wuzcsg
Tutor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not surprised at the speed between RAX20 and the internet, but my testing device (Samsung S20 FE even supports wifi 6), can only up to 177...

Before I used the older generation of Google Wifi (not the newer model, Nest) it can run to almost 700... 

Feel unacceptable that I bought a new router but my wifi speed downgraded from 6xx to 177... 

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8

@wuzcsg wrote:

Wifi 6 is a rat's nest.

@plemans knows more than I do about these things. But as the saying goes, it takes two to tango. The wifi source and the wifi client have to work together.

Does this Samsung S20 perform a whole lot better elsewhere?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

@wuzcsg wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks.

S20. What band is it connected to? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

If you look up what its link speeds are (which aren't throughput) what do they show? 

I was looking to see if the s20 was a 1x1 or 2x2 solution and couldn't find it after a brief search. That's why I ask about the link speed. 

Also the RAX20 is base model AX router. its a AX1800 device. The 5ghz is a 2x2 solution with 80hz frequency to hit that 1200mbps over 5ghz link speed. Again, link speed is not equal to throughput speed. its usually around 55-65% depending on efficiency. I'm also not sure what the s20 support for channel width. That can make a difference as well. 

the other though i had is what actual model google mesh did you have? The older version (testing through smallnetbuilder) only hit just under 500mbps under optimal conditions.  (https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33038-google-wifi-reviewed?showall=&start=...   

So without being there its tough to explain the 700mbps with the google wifi. Unless your testing hardwired. Then it'd have no issue. 

But again you can't compare wired speed to wireless speeds. 

A couple things you can try with the RAX.

Try testing it was ax disabled. see what speeds you get

disable smart connect to ensure you're connected to the 5ghz. see what speeds you get

try changing wireless channels to a different channel.

Also, check to ensure you have the 5ghz set to "up to 1200mbps" maybe its only broadcasting on 40hz wide channels for 5ghz.

Try a factory reset and clean install (not from backup). The RAX devices have responded favorably to factory reset/clean installs after firmware changes/upgrades. 

@michaelkenward Pretty sure you're way ahead of me on this.  I'm just throwing WAG's out there. 🙂 

Message 7 of 8
wuzcsg
Tutor

Ok, I think I found the root cause...
After I replaced the original Netgear's cable to high quality one, now my speed can run to 600Mbps...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7