× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800 Router Hacked

blue47
Aspirant

AX1800 Router Hacked

My Nighthawk router was hacked and the hacker changed the admin password to the router. I realized since I have the physical router I can perform a factory reset and go through the setup again, but I want to pull the data off of the router first. I can see 51 devices in Nighthawk app before it promps me for login. The number before the hack was 5. There are number of Apple devices, Nest devices, etc that are not mine on the list.

Is there a way I can pull all of the information off before reseting the router?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX1800 Router Hacked

What model is this router? AX1800 is a wireless speed.

How are you sure of this? 

Try the router password recovery option? 

Message 2 of 11
blue47
Aspirant

It is a RAX20.
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

why do you want the info off there? 

I'd be more worried about getting my router back so others can't use it/access it. 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure your connecting to the RAX20 and to it's web page? 

Be sure to use a wired PC and web browser to connect to the routers web page. 

@blue47 wrote:
It is a RAX20.

Message 5 of 11
blue47
Aspirant

I should have explained better. I saw a massive spike in internet usage on my bill which prompted me to look at network. I know the addresses of all of the devices that I had given access to my network since getting the router (there were only five), but I am seeing 46 devices that do not belong. I also know that I do not have a smart TV or a Nest thermosat. As for the admin account I am assuming they changed it when my creditals stopped working. I am using a password manager so there is little opportunity for human error.
Message 6 of 11

@blue47 wrote:

....but I want to pull the data off of the router first.

What data is that?

Routers do not stash much useful information beyond their settings. And you don't want those if you really have been hacked.

@blue47 wrote:

My Nighthawk router was hacked and the hacker changed the admin password to the router.

How did you determine that?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you can recover the PW using recovery feature of the router, get logged in again and I would change the SSID name AND password for the WiFi AND change the admin pw to something new as well and don't give it out to anyone. Be limiting on who you give the wifi pw too as well. 

@blue47 wrote:
I should have explained better. I saw a massive spike in internet usage on my bill which prompted me to look at network. I know the addresses of all of the devices that I had given access to my network since getting the router (there were only five), but I am seeing 46 devices that do not belong. I also know that I do not have a smart TV or a Nest thermosat. As for the admin account I am assuming they changed it when my creditals stopped working. I am using a password manager so there is little opportunity for human error.

Message 8 of 11

@blue47 wrote:
I should have explained better. I saw a massive spike in internet usage on my bill which prompted me to look at network.

So, they didn't hack the router so much – which would have given them control of it – as break into your wifi password? If they had really hacked you, and changed the wifi password, you wouldn't be able to get into the wifi.

The simple answer is to change the wifi password. Pick something hard to guess and don't write it on the wall!

Changing the SSID, or even hiding, isn't likely to make a difference. That is easily found.

You can set the router to block wifi access to new devices.

I know the addresses of all of the devices that I had given access to my network since getting the router (there were only five), but I am seeing 46 devices that do not belong.

If these are Mac addresses, rather than IP addresses, don't assume that all of those devices have nothing to do with you. Some of our devices have more than one Mac address, for different wifi bands, for example.

There may be more than five, but 46 is highly unlikely.

Of course, you should also change the password for the browser graphical user interface (GUI) to block a real hijack.

Message 9 of 11
blue47
Aspirant

There has been alot of activity since my new neighbors move in. By 51 devices, I ment the history, not the number of currently active devices.
Message 10 of 11

@blue47 wrote:
There has been alot of activity since my new neighbors move in.

Change the wifi password NOW.

You can also turn on access control to block unwanted aliens.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual

Manage network access control lists

There should be a list of everything that has bullied its way on to your network. Block things you don't want on there.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7