× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX4 (RAX40) signal strength in kitchen is 95% but not working

DGVince
Aspirant

AX4 (RAX40) signal strength in kitchen is 95% but not working

My Router is centrally located, in the living room I get a consistant 200mb down, a mear 10 feet and 1 wall away in the kitchen my signal strength is 95% and seems fine, but my speed fluctuates wildly it can be 200mb down but then for min at a time arent enough to steam a song.  can get down to kb/s range. 

Any thought or ideas? I'm truly stumped on this one.  The wifi analizers say the signal is 100% great in there and should work fine.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on?
What modem are you using?

What is that wall made of? 

Is it specific to device or do they all have the issue?

Are you connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz when the issue is happening?

Message 2 of 8
DGVince
Aspirant

firmware v1.0.3.64_1.0.1

I'm using a netgear cm500 modem

It's an interior wall so just sheetrock with wood beams, the refrigurator is near where the wall is to the router but shouldn't block the entirety of the back half of the house. Maybe I should try moving the router over 5' to maximinze the angle around the fridge.  But that should affect the signal strength % not just the reliabilty fluctiation?

This is across all devices and using the 2.4gHz I havent done as extensive testing with 5gHz band.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

the 2.4ghz is more senstive to interference. Many devices emit on the 2.4ghz band as well as other wifi routers. It greatly reduces its throughput (speed) and opens it up to interference.  You can try changing which channel the 2.4ghz is broadcasting on. I'd recommend 1=6=11. 

Or i'd recommend switching your device over the the 5ghz band. 

Message 4 of 8
DGVince
Aspirant

Well I tried all that and eveything else I could think of. it's the only signal on it's channel updated the firmware all the way and I still can't get a connection strong enough for a video call 20 feet away on either frequency. Netgear support won't help and bestbuy said it's in warrenty to to contact netgear. so $200 down the drain. at least I know to stay away from this brand now. Thanks Plemans for taking the time to try and help.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@DGVince wrote:

Well I tried all that and eveything else I could think of. it's the only signal on it's channel updated the firmware all the way and I still can't get a connection strong enough for a video call 20 feet away on either frequency. Netgear support won't help and bestbuy said it's in warrenty to to contact netgear. so $200 down the drain. at least I know to stay away from this brand now. Thanks Plemans for taking the time to try and help.

go through the online rma process. if its in warranty, you should be able to rma it. Many google for netgear support and get a scam site as netgear doesn't list a # to contact them. you have to go to "mynetgear" at the top, register and account and then the device. From there you can start the warranty rma process. 

Message 6 of 8
bidefom
Aspirant

How to boost your Wi-Fi coverage for good and Cover Your All Home Including commercial kitchen flooring Brisbane, Basement And other Areas etc.

You know the routine. You fire up your browser or TV and start the next episode of your favorite show on Netflix. The video starts to buffer and you think, “great, here we go again.”

The internet is strained like never before with millions of people at home and off their higher-speed office networks. You and your neighbors are competing for speed.

There are a few factors that determine how reliable your Wi-Fi ought to be. Router speeds and range are important, as well as security settings that can prevent hackers and cyber criminals from meddling with your network.

But even the fastest, most secure network is nothing without good coverage. Believe it or not, you don’t actually need to buy a thousand dollar router to get better service throughout your home. Here are some basic steps you can take to improve your signal and keep your favorite devices running seamlessly together.

Check your wires

Firmware is everything

Location, location, location

Set up dual-band Wi-Fi for optimal speed

Use Windows to channel-surf and find the best signal to use

Quality of Service Wi-Fi: What is it

Message 7 of 8
microchip8
Master

Have you tried disabling AX mode? Quite a few clients have issues with it
Message 8 of 8