× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6600 (RAX70) keeps losing internet

maek314
Follower

AX6600 (RAX70) keeps losing internet

Hello.

First-time poster.

I have seen this issue crop up as I've been researching this and it appears that this problem has been fairly widespread WITHOUT a solution.

I have both an Orbi and a Nighthawk RAX70.  The firmware version on the RAX70 is v1.0.2.88.

For the past week and a half, after I've had it for 2 months, it keeps losing the internet connection.  The cable is fine, the internet is fine, and the ORBI CONTINUES TO WORK.  When I reboot the Nighthawk, everything is fine from between 2 to 6 hours and then it drops again.

This appears to be a WIDESPREAD issue from what I've seen across several RAX models and I haven't found a single thread yet that has positively identified the problem and the solution to it.

I'd rather not do a factory reset, but it seems absolutely ridiculous to me that a $300 router is so readily crippled when my 2-year old Orbi is the "engine that still could."

Has anyone else encountered this?  Please post solutions only.  I have seen several threads where I went through a lot of "happening to me as well" posts; I want to avoid that for myself and others.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello maek314,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 16
deepsouth06
Tutor

Any luck on getting this fixed. Just bought mine yesterday and all day today my internet has been dropping in and out, espcecially when both my wife and I are on meetings.

Message 3 of 16
centauratlas
Tutor

I see the same thing.  I was hoping there was an update to fix the issue, but it has been going on for months.  

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 4 of 16
Sberendt1
Initiate

The only thing I have found is to turn off Smart Connect and just have separate wifi connections. This thing does not work well AT ALL with older wifi devices. After I did that, everything stays connected. But I must say that I still don't have as good of performance as I did with my previous Nighthawk...bums me out. Connect you older wifi devices to the 2.4ghz wifi and they should stay connected afterwards.
Message 5 of 16
centauratlas
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion - I do have that off.  I am going to try turning off the 20/40 MHz Coexistence.  🙂

Message 6 of 16
j911g
Tutor

Any luck fixing this? Mine is having a similar issue, was thinking about maybe rolling back the firmware.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 16
centauratlas
Tutor

I haven't yet, no.  I am trying to see if there is a pattern and haven't noticed one yet.  

Message 8 of 16
j911g
Tutor

I think I'm going to replace it (bought it from Costco so they are liberal with their replacements) and see if that resolves it. I'll let you know if the new one also has the issue. (if so I may cut my losses, return it, and go with a different brand)

Message 9 of 16
centauratlas
Tutor

Thanks. If I figure anything out I’ll follow up also.
Message 10 of 16
jmejia
Aspirant

I am having the same exact issue right now... just started in the last few weeks. Its gotten progressivly worse where i have to constantly recoonect my devices, ipads, macbook, work windows laptop. It will drop me while im in the midst of a work online meeting.

I never used to have this problem when i first purchased the router in Jan this year. Im considering selling it and getting an Orbi.

Just recently, it went out completely... fortunatley i kept my eero mesh from a few years ago and connected with that... never had a drop issue with eero. I have a Model RAX70... this page did not have it listed and wouldnt let me post this unless i selected one of the models listed.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 11 of 16
j911g
Tutor

Just wanted to give you an update that I gave up, kept having the issue and didn't want to go through the RMA process. I had bought the router from Costco so I just ended up returning it and replacing it with an Eero setup, no issues whatsover with the new Eero routers. Best of luck!

Message 12 of 16
j911g
Tutor

Just to follow up I ended up giving up and just returning the NIghthawk and replacing it with an Eero mesh system, sorry I can't be of more help, best of luck!

Message 13 of 16
JamesZ82
Initiate

Netgear routers are absolute trash. I have spent nearly $900 between my last two and they BOTH drop connections like it's going out of style.
Netgear will never get any more of my money until they fix their garbage products or sell them at Dollar Tree...
Message 14 of 16
SMPIGGY
Initiate

Same here. My RAX70 just keep disconnecting. The net went off, then reconnceted, that's really annoying. I'm used to a Netgear believer, had 2 R7000 for my house and office and several extenders, One R7000 in my office downed for nothing, then I upgrade to this RAX70, but it is worse. I now consider for ASUS AX6600 etc, just too tired.

Message 15 of 16
centauratlas
Tutor

I was having the same issues and just replaced the netgear with an ASUS. I liked most things about the netgear but the disconnecting was unacceptable
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7