× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Block web sites not working on HTTPS Sites --> I'm returning my netgear ax11000

Bomberdile
Tutor

Block web sites not working on HTTPS Sites --> I'm returning my netgear ax11000

I just bought this router (AX11000) to block specific websites for a specific time for my whole household.

I just found out that it is not possible to block websites as specified on https://kb.netgear.com/24053/How-do-I-block-Internet-sites-on-my-NETGEAR-router-from-the-router-web-...

There are no websites that dont use https so this feature is completly obsolete.

I cant block block specific websites for a specific time with the circle app without paying 5 $ a month.

Just wanted to let you know that i will return my router because it does not offer this feature as promoted. I am very disappointed.

Am i missing something?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Block web sites not working on HTTPS Sites --> I'm returning my netgear ax11000

Re: NextDNS... sure it can! Look in Parental Control -> Recreation Time

PS: you will find no consumer router that can block HTTPS on its own.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Most home routers don't block HTTPS sites. They only block sites with HTTP. No secure sites. 

To block HTTPS, try using a DNS service like OpenDNS or NextDNS services to help block HTTPS sites. 

Message 2 of 8
Bomberdile
Tutor

Thank you very much for your fast reply and suggested solutions. Sadly opendns and next dns can't be scheduled.

For example, I want to block youtube.com from 11 pm to 5 pm

Message 3 of 8
microchip8
Master

Re: NextDNS... sure it can! Look in Parental Control -> Recreation Time

PS: you will find no consumer router that can block HTTPS on its own.
Message 4 of 8
Bomberdile
Tutor

Thanks a lot! This looks promising. I did not find this myself.

You saved my evening. I may even have to keep my netgear router because the router of my provider does not allow to change the dns server.

Have a nice evening.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 6 of 8
Bomberdile
Tutor

Re: Block web sites not working on HTTPS Sites

small Update: I configured nextdns and it allmost fullfills my usecase. Its not possible to block specific websites for a specific timeframe but you can block preconfigured ones (like youtube)

Downside is that nextnds only allows 300.000 request per month for free. This may be to few for a two person household.

I put the dns of nextdns into every device we use to avoid having two devices running for our network: cable modem and wifi router.

Sadly Vodafone support is aweful and was not able to anwer my request about changing the default dns server in the wifi-cable modem.

Thanks for your support and input.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Block web sites not working on HTTPS Sites

Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like it working for the most part. 

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series