× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Brand new RAX120 router stops responding multiple times per day, requires reboot

InterMurph
Guide

Brand new RAX120 router stops responding multiple times per day, requires reboot

I just replaced my AC1750 router with a RAX120.  Paired with my CM1200 cable modem, it gets the full 1 GB/s download rate on my Xfinity cable.  It's great.  When it works.

The problem:  multiple times per day, the router simply goes mute.  All connected devices, both WiFi and ethernet, lose all internet connectivity.  The router does not respond to ping requests.  It is just mute.  A router reboot clears this condition.  This appears to be a problem with the router itself, as 1) I do not have to reset the cable modem at all to fix it, and 2) this did not happen with the older AC1750 router.

I upgraded the RAX120 to the latest firmware (1.2.0.16), and it did not fix the problem.

After I restart the router, I check the logs, and the oldest log message is always this:

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.2.0.16] Monday, January 18, 2021 12:37:01

So if there is anything helpful in the logs, it gets lost during the restart.

Needless to say, this is wreaking havoc on my kids, who are learning remotely, and on me, who is working remotely.

What can I do to diagnose this?  I feel like I have to give up on this router and revert to the AC1750, which is not as fast, but is at least reliable.

Thanks.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

Re: Brand new RAX120 router stops responding multiple times per day, requires reboot

Since you've changed the firmware, have you tried a full factory reset and clean reinstall (not from a backup)? the RAX devices have responded favorably to that. 

Message 2 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

I have not tried that.

Except that it's a brand new router, and presumably arrived from the factory in a factory-reset state.

I'm looking for someone from Netgear to chime in with debugging steps.  There is clearly a bug in the router firmware, and I am hoping that they are intersted in figuring it out.  

Message 3 of 27
plemans
Guru

@InterMurph wrote:

I have not tried that.

Except that it's a brand new router, and presumably arrived from the factory in a factory-reset state.

I'm looking for someone from Netgear to chime in with debugging steps.  There is clearly a bug in the router firmware, and I am hoping that they are intersted in figuring it out.  

Its rare to find someone from netgear on here as this is the community forum. 

"clearly there's a bug in the router"---not always.

Again, try the factory reset. It might have come from the factory in a blank state but the RAX devices were released before the AX spec was even finalized. so there was many changes to the firmware since release.  Of which the firmware upgrades using the auto update.  Maybe one of the old settings was changed when the firmware upgraded.  Which is why step 1 is factory reset and do a clean install.

but if you're set in waiting on someone from netgear to see this post, I wish you the best. 

Message 4 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

There is definitely a bug in the router.  It ceases communicating altogether; no pings, no web login, etc.  Cleared by a power cycle.  Trust my 30+ years writing software for and debugging networking gear; it has a bug.

I will try the reset when it is possible.

I also opened a case with Netgear support directly; I didn't realize that they didn't monitor these forums.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

So I opened a case with Netgear support.

The response ignored the fact that all connectivity is lost, both wired and wireless, and the fact that the router doesn't even respond to pings in this state.  They treated it as a WiFi issue, telling me to try changing the wireless channel and WAN MTU.

So I instead I did what @plemans suggested:  a full factory reset.  And after two days, that seems to have done the trick, as I have seen no seize-ups.

I'm not declaring victory yet, but so far, so good.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

And of course, it just seized up on me.

And there is literally nothing I can do to diagnose it while it is in this state; I can't ping it, log into it, or anything.

This is so frustrating.

Message 7 of 27
plemans
Guru

Try installing version 1.0.1.36 of the firmware. Then disable auto-updates and try it. 

Message 8 of 27
mudbone
Apprentice

I bought both version 1 and 2 of the RAX120 in the last month and a half. I had to upgrade both to the latest firmware version V1.2.0.16 then factory reset them when I got them. I have version 2 set up as an AP connected with cat 6 to version 1. I have been having the disconnects happen to both routers but mostly on the AP router. Last week they both failed and rebooting them did not work. I had to factory rest both causing my wife and I to lose at least an hour of work. This week the AP has dropped connections at least 4 or 5 times. However it came back up on its own everytime without me having to reboot it. It just did it 3.5 hours ago but nobody was logged on and working at the time.  Every time it resets it has a new IP address so I assume it is rebooting on its own??? The AP log contains the following entries after all of these resets.  

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, May 05, 2021 18:06:29
[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.1.30, Wednesday, May 05, 2021 18:06:24
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.2.0.16] Wednesday, May 05, 2021 18:06:21

Yeah I am pretty frustrated. They need to figure out what is causing the resets. Is it just version 2 with most of the problems or am I just getting luckier on version one? I contacted support through the chat last night and I wanted to share a quote from the technician that really got my attention. This is the exact sentence they typed in the chat:

"By the way, in an AP mode router, the wireless connectivity is not consistent as it is not the main server, and we cannot set some settings in the ap mode as well since the device is just a plain wifi." 

I thought WTF!

Message 9 of 27
Chichizola
Star

I've been there several times. Support is no use, I finally dropped Netgear altogether after three distinct routers gave me all kind of problems. I switched brands. Now I use my time in the internet instead of with technical support.

Message 10 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

I gave up and replaced it with an Asus ROG router, which works perfectly.

I have been a Netgear guy for decades, but this experience has put me off them.

Message 11 of 27
mudbone
Apprentice

Make sure the router auto firmware update is disabled. Last week when they both crashed rebooting would not fix them so I ended up having to factory reset both of them. When I reviewed the log on one of the routers (with wired PC) before the reset it looked like it had tried to update the firmware to the same version!  Also I found that if you set the "Always enable Fan" in the hidden page "http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm" only check the box. I was clicking one of the save buttons and its not necessary and may even be harmful. It will uncheck itself though when it reboots so you will have to keep setting it. It is a way to tell if it rebooted. On my AP I can tell because the IP changes.  

Message 12 of 27
JTaylorIV
Guide

Same issue.. Brand new router, RAX120v2 initializes randomly..

I bought a RAX102v2 and shortly after I bought the router I was experiencing the similar problem.  Opened a couple of tickets with support, with no resolution to the router initializing or rebooting.

Issue:  Router randomly performs an initialization

Firmware V1.2.0.16

Tried

• Fully reset, clear, update firmware from PC directly connected to router.  Manually entered the configuration.  Did not upload a saved config.  No change
  • Modified the MTU to 1492 (from 1500) – No Change
  • Disabled AX – No Change
  • Changed Wireless from Auto to settings provided by tech.  No Change
    • 2.4 Ghz to 11 (previously Auto)
    • 5 Ghx to 161 (previously 153)
  • I had the power supply connected to an APC Smart 1500 UPS.  Asked to move to a different outlet.  Did so, no change
  • Changed the DNS from my ISP to Google’s DNS; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  No Change
  • Removed devices connected to the ethernet ports.
  • Changed cables and the ethernet cable between the router and modem.  No Change.

I thought that the router may be experiencing an exploit from a hacker who is able to reset the router. So, I disconnected the internet connection.  No Change

My network is simple. Approximately 30 devices connected: Three Amazon devices, two TV’s, Water sprinkler, two thermostats plus others passive devices.  Computers, two normal computers, no gaming.  Other devices, iPhones and iPads.  Nothing spectacular.  The Modem, NetGear

Thought it may be a heat problem.  Added a small fan to help with cooling.  Also looked into the router and set the internal fan to constant on - 192.168.1.1/debug.htm  No change.  Also the fan resets back to auto when the router initializes.

From the debug info.. Also captured the following.  Network Session Total seems maxed.

Basic Information

CPU Load

11.194%

Memory Usage(Used/Total)

459MB/869MB

Flash Usage(Used/Total)

233MB/512MB

Network Session(Active/Total)

3218/65536

I have not tried to adjust the following parameters in the debug menu

2.4GHz Beacon Interval      ms(20-100)
2.4GHz DTIM      (1-255)
5GHz Beacon Interval      ms(20-100)
5GHz DTIM      (1-255)

Since I bought the router at Best Buy, I took the pages of notes from the ticket to the Geek Squad.  Looked for any recommendations. Since NetGear technical support’s recommendations failed to resolve and it seemed that their only solution was to reflash the firmware and start from scratch, which did not seem to resolve my problem. The Geek Squad replaced the router with the exact same router and will send the router back to NetGear. 

Well, the second router is doing the exact same thing. If it is my fault, glad to admit but I cannot find why this router would reboot. 

I previously had a Motorola router, which was slow and I wanted something with better performance which the RAX120 seems to fit the bill.

Any suggestions welcome.

Message 13 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

I suggest you buy the Asus ROG GT-AX11000 router.  That's what I did, and it just worked perfectly since I got it set up.

There is something basically wrong with the code in this Netgear router, and they haven't figured it out yet (or even acknowledged it).

Message 14 of 27
JTaylorIV
Guide

InterMurph, regarding "Asus ROG GT-AX11000 router".  That is the exact model I was looking at to replace the RAX120v2. Almost purchased last night.  Your right about tech support not acknowledging the issue.  Just got the, try this and report back.  Nothing worked and even entering that the router was still initializing, they closed the ticket due to inactivity.  I was waiting for a response from them!  I really do not think that tech support follows up on the tickets if you enter any information.  They wait for you to call them or open a chat.

I would like to see NetGear acknowledge the issue. I see I am not the only one with the router initialization.

Message 15 of 27
InterMurph
Guide

The whole experience was frustrating.  But I solved my problem by buying the Asus router, which has been completely reliable since I set it up.

Message 16 of 27
mudbone
Apprentice

I had a major problem with Asus in 2015 with an X99 motherboard that fried the VRM in under two months. They refused to replace it and the support was terrible. Before that I had good luck with their hardware but that incident soured me on them. However companies that are as big as Asus usually have different divisions that design and build better products. Their router division may indeed be better.  

Message 17 of 27
JTaylorIV
Guide

While waiting to repalce the RAX120v2 with an Asus router I see that there is a new version of firmware.

For grins, installed the latest firmware, V1.2.1.22, did a reset (yes little recessed button with a paper clip, waited 30 seconds), reconfigured fresh.  Still randomly reboots.

Message 18 of 27
Chichizola
Star

I tell you, it is not your device or firmware, its the brand. I used them for years. But, they've become an island at the expense of, what I guess, is their shrinking user base. I gave up on them.

Message 19 of 27
mudbone
Apprentice

Thanks for letting me know about the firmware update and that it did not fix the disconnect problem. I shipped the RAX120v2 back to the Netgear store for a refund yesterday. I moved my old R7000 down to the basement as the main router and configured the RAX120v1 as the AP. I will upgrade its firmware this weekend to the new version just to see if anything changes. So far it seems to be more stable on the WiFi then version 2 was. I think for now I am going to wait on buying another router to replace the old R7000. I was looking at the WiFi 6e routers last night. I like the Asus GT-AXE11000 but for that much money it should have a 10 gig port on it:-) 

Message 20 of 27
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have the v1 and not had any of your issues, since both use the same firmware I would say its not the routers unless you were unlucky and got two duds, I have not had issues with my 120 in the last year and a half, I think maybe its your enviroment, maybe the power soirce you are plugginbg it into? Mine has never rebooted.

Also are you in the UK or USA? It seems USA users have more issues than UK users, maybe because we use PPPoE, also Armor makes the router unstable, and you have to make sure you have dialup turned to all the time and timout out set to 0. Dont use 160Mhz and have auto updates turned off.

Message 21 of 27
mudbone
Apprentice

Well you should consider yourself very lucky. I have now had both v1 and v2 and have had lots of issues with both but mainly with v2. There is nothing wrong with the power here or my environment and I live in the USA. I also do not use Netgear Armor and I am disabling the auto updates. Not sure I understand the "dialup turned to all the time and timeout out set to 0" suggestion. I am hooked to a Netgear CM1000 cable modem with 400/20 service. Also if I can't use the 160Mhz WiFi per your recommendation what is the point of me or anyone buying this WiFi 6 router? I returned the RAX120v2 router to the Netgear store this week for a full refund during the return window because it was unstable. The v1 seems more stable from what I can tell but it is far from perfect especially for nearly $400. My first support call was about performance on the Multi-Gig port. It would start out speed testing to 480 mbps down but then quickly degraded to 30 to 60 mbps. Trust me I really wanted both of these to work. I think the hardware has excellent specs and they are nice looking routers. However Netgear skimpped on the firmware development. Its clear that I am not the only one having these issues. I would have even been willing to fork out some extra money to get a stable firmware for these routers if it meant they would have worked correctly.  

Message 22 of 27
Killhippie
Prodigy

Because right now there are virtually no devices that use it, 80Mhz is more than enough. Factory resettin g is important, even Asus say to do that after a big change in firmware, you hold the reset in for about 20 seconds. leave to reboot the router takes about 5 minutes to completely boot. Set up as new, never with a config file as this brings low level code changes fronm the last firmware which may be incompatible. Also I'm not lucky, I know many users with 120's and they have no issues like yourself. I'm not saying you are not having them but to faulty units, In doublt it.

I know this router very well but cant really comment due to a NDA I signed, but I was in there from mid 2018 with the RAX120 beta testing leave it there. Its a very fast stable device. In internet settings set dialup to always on and idle timeout to 0 and press apply. Otherise the router goes to sleep! Back to 160Mhz yes you can use that with wifi 6E the 6Ghz band will support 160Mhz with no issues, 5Ghz not so much, and even the latest iPhones/iPads dont support 160Hmz. As I said few devices do and this will just make things worse as you clash with orther 5Ghz neighbours, leave it on 80Mhz on 5Ghz and 20Mhz on 2.4Mhz as forcing 40Mhz with any router reduces thoughput in busy areas with lots of routers using 2.4Ghz.

Message 23 of 27
JTaylorIV
Guide

My new (non-NetGear) router has been working great for the last 0 days 14 hour(s) 29 minute(s) 39 seconds. My NetGear router RAX120v2 would have re-initialized at least six times in the time period.

The RAX120v2 has excellent specifications, perfect for my home enviroment. I have nothing wierd that consumes a lot of bandwidth in my home. USA by the way.

I expected to unbox the router, setup a simple "initial" configuration and later look over the features and fine tune my enviroment. I could not get a stable setup with a simple inital configuration. I had expectations that the router would work and if I had issues, NetGear support would help. Level one support, try this, call back later. Nothing worked, they closed tickets with no resolution.

Truly appreciate all the suggestions to help resolve the issue with constant initialization of the RAX120v2 routher.

Just to recap, list of items that did not work for me.

* Reflash the firmware, reset the router back to defaults, manually reconfigure (do not use saved config). No change.
* change the wireless network channel to:2.4GHz - 11 and 5GHz - 161. No change.
* change MTU size, kindly select ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup. In the MTU Size field, enter a 1492 value. No change.
* change static DNS on the router to Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8, Secondary DNS - 8.8.4.4. No change.
* Try a different plug. Removed from an APC-1500 Smart UPS and connected to a different (non UPS) outlet. No change.
* Told by tech support to go back to revision levels of firmware. Unable to do, router errored revision too far back.

Each time I would add notes to the NegGear service ticket. Only when I contacted NetGear support, via Chat, is when the would read the tickets. I was waiting for furter instructions, they closed the ticket due to inactivity.

* WiFi only using 40Mhz (2.4Mhz) and 80Mhz (5G)
* Disabled AX. No change.
* Tackled Layer 1, changed cables. No change.
* Installed the latest firmware, V1.2.1.22, did a reset and still no dice.
* Added fans to rule out thermal, as best as I could. Room where router was located, residential, room temp.
* Removed internet connection, turned off WiFi, only LAN connected PC, router still initialized.

Experience, Employed (retired) by a large engineering firm for 31 years. Started with mid-range systems, IBM-36 with dumb terminals connected via twin-ax (PC's were XT and AT, non network at the time) to complex networks and servers. I know the terminology.

I probably, by some long shot odds, had two bad routhers. I did not want to try a third, went in a differrent direction.

My wife is not riding my back about the network. My life is better, she is happy.

If you get a good one, congrats. They are nice routers based on the specs.

Bye All,

:EOM

Message 24 of 27
Chichizola
Star

Similar experience. @DITCHNETGEAR

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 23 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7