× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Brennan BB1 cannot see my SSID

MikeinMK
Aspirant

Brennan BB1 cannot see my SSID

My router works fine and items like phones and tablets can connect to it. Recently I purchased a Brennan BB1 but when I try to connect this item it cannot see my SSID when it scans for available networks. The Brennan works correctly at another house with a different modem. Any suggestions as to why it cannot see my Netgear router? The Brennan forum has suggested rebooting both the Brennan and the router. I've done that but it makes no difference. Any thoughts?

I am using a Netgear Nighthawk X65 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) AC4000.

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

I couldn't find much info about the Brennan bb1 for what wifi card it  uses. When something works on everything but 1 device, it tends to be an issue with the device implements its wifi with newer technologies.. With that said, maybe you can get it working.

Something you potentially could try doing is:

1. set your wifi speed down on your 2.4ghz ssid. I've had IoT devices that needed the 2.4ghz speed set down before they'd work. 

2. setup an open guest network. maybe something with security has it implemented wrong. 

Message 2 of 13

@MikeinMK wrote:

The Brennan works correctly at another house with a different modem.

If it is possible, how about a reset on the Brennan?

Restarting it will not wipe out past settings from the old modem.

Message 3 of 13
MikeinMK
Aspirant

I've reset the Brennan several times and also rebooted the router. Somewhere (it I can find it) I still have my old modem/router, also Netgear. When I find it, I will try that one. If it works I can connect the Brennan to that one, everything else to the nighthawk.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 4 of 13

@MikeinMK wrote:

If it works I can connect the Brennan to that one, everything else to the nighthawk.

Be warned, that that could be a dangerous strategy. Two routers are the road to chaos.

As it is, we don't know what your current modem is. That could be important.

Message 5 of 13
MikeinMK
Aspirant

I am using a Netgear Nighthawk X65 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) AC4000 (as stated in my original post). This is a recent purchase. I have now found my previous modem/router which is a Netgear DGN2200 v3.

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

have you tried any of the other suggestions?

Message 7 of 13
MikeinMK
Aspirant

Success! I have connected my 'old' modem and the Brennan connects immediately and works as it should. Back to the 'new' modem and it is not seen. At last I know the Brennan is not at fault. Next experiment is to use both modems together. I cannot see why that won't work, so will try it. An adaptor cable is its way and that will be another thing to try, but it won't be wireless.

Message 8 of 13

@MikeinMK wrote:

I cannot see why that won't work, so will try it.

I can.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 13
MikeinMK
Aspirant

I've gone for the obvious solution - replace the 'new' Netgear Nighthawk X65 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000P) AC4000 with the 'old' Netgear DGN2200 v3 modem and router in one. Everything works as it did before I changed to the Nighthawk, but also my Brennan BB1 works as well.

I read somewhere that modems should be replaced every couple of years. It was my mistake to believe that. My DGN2000 is quite a lot older but it is to the latest spec, although less versatile than the Nighthawk.

So now I have a Netgear modem, type DM200 and the Nighthawk for sale. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with either of them. Reading another post from someone whose laptop couldn't see his SSID, it sounds as though the network hardware or software inside the BB1 is not as up to date as it could be.

The bidding starts here, if nobody is interested, they go on ebay.

Message 10 of 13

@MikeinMK wrote:

So now I have a Netgear modem, type DM200 and the Nighthawk for sale.

Do not underestimate the value of a second hand DM200.

Something freaky has happened in recent months. DSL modems have all but vanished and the prices of those left have gone mad.

The DM200 is not two or three times what I paid for mine.  I tried to buy another one and gave up.

I currently use a D6400 in modem only mode.

By the way, did you ensure that your DM200 was also in modem only mode? It does some basic routering and needs to be tweaked. That one has baffled more than on person before now.

Message 11 of 13
MikeinMK
Aspirant

There are quite a few DM200s currently on ebay at prices from £20 (inc postage) with new ones, never used, at around £60. Maybe I'll ask £40 for it.

The Nighthawk modem can cost over £200 for a 'new' one, second hand ones are around £120, so maybe I'll ask £100 for mine.

That's for after Christmas, as I'm busy enjoying my new BB1. It's a wonderful piece of kit.

Thanks for all the helpful comments and a Happy Christmas to you all.

Message 12 of 13

That's the UK. Check the USA.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7