× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 test speeds

Ctcomsa
Aspirant

CAX80 test speeds

hello everyone i'm still waiting on netgear to get back to on support i emailed them because the phone support tells me don't worry anything else  your online.

i get different issues all the time I've done 4 factory resets ,one time it kept telling me i was connected remotely and all my info was the same but no Internet.

right now i can only connect to my modem thru my computer, nighthawk app quit and put me in remote access again all my devices are gone again. 

testing speed im wireless right now becuase my wife is sleeping on the couch 

on my 5g xfinity speed 561.0   speedtest  762.66

my 5g guest network is xfinity 236  speedtest 292

there is nothing on my guest networks but me testing

2.4  xfinity 82.5 speedtest 59.79    average over multible tests

2.4 guest xfi 65.8  speedtest 59.7

i know 2.4 is slower but this much difference 

when the app did work 2.4 was 431.  on speedtest

the other thing is streaming amazon i get a german message first then japanese then UK  and finnally  english saying it timed out.

didnt happen with xfinity modem/router

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: CAX80 test speeds

@Ctcomsa wrote:

testing speed im wireless right now becuase my wife is sleeping on the couch 

on my 5g xfinity speed 561.0   speedtest  762.6-----pretty impressive 5ghz speeds. 

my 5g guest network is xfinity 236  speedtest 292----not as worrisome as its a guest network. Isolated from your network. 

there is nothing on my guest networks but me testing

2.4  xfinity 82.5 speedtest 59.79    average over multible tests----if your area has interference, thats actually a pretty good 2.4ghz speed for 2.4ghz. Even when I test in an area with minimal 2.4ghz signals, the max I get is around 100mbps. 

2.4 guest xfi 65.8  speedtest 59.7

i know 2.4 is slower but this much difference ---Yes. This much difference. Its the whole point of 5ghz. less interference and higher bandwidth. 

when the app did work 2.4 was 431.  on speedtest---when you test on the app it hosts the test directly on the router. It doesn't indicate your actual wireless speeds. 

the other thing is streaming amazon i get a german message first then japanese then UK  and finnally  english saying it timed out.----not sure what you're meaning by this. 

didnt happen with xfinity modem/router

What device are you using for testing? usually the device you're testing on is the limiting factor when it comes to the CAX80

Message 2 of 7
Ctcomsa
Aspirant

LG gram

i just thought the 2.4 was way slow my smart house isnt to smart since I got the ax8

i cant even connect with the app unless I reset everything then its good for almost a day.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Ctcomsa wrote:

LG gram---what wireless card is in it? how are you testing speeds? have you tried other devices? Also, how far away from the router are you? 5ghz speeds drop off quickly. 

i just thought the 2.4 was way slow---its is slow. its great for Iot device but a bit lackluster for streaming.  my smart house isnt to smart since I got the ax8---what do you mean your house isn't to smart since you got it? 

i cant even connect with the app unless I reset everything then its good for almost a day.---connect with the nighthawk app? I don't use the app a whole lot but have you tried a couple devices to see if its a device issue? I usually just connect via the browser

Message 4 of 7

The CAX80 in your subject is an "AX8 AX6000 WiFI Cable Modem Router". It isn't quite the same as the Nighthawk WiFi Routers covered here.

You might get more help where its users hangout, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 5 of 7
Ctcomsa
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

The 2.4GHz speeds can be low like that if you are in a congested area, especially if you have a client device that is only doing 1-2 streams.

By default, Netgear has an option enabled called "Enable 20/40MHz Coexistence", which will further reduce speeds if many other 2.4GHz APs are detected in range. This function is designed to better share airtime since the more channel overlap you have, the more airtime sharing and portential collisions will happen. But in cases with amany APs in range but very low activity, perormance can get a significant boost. Also keep in mind, 40MHz channel width can cause issues with some zigbee products that are close to the AP or client devices using that channel width.

PS many smartphones as well as ARM based tablets will often have 40MHz channel width disable at the driver level, thus even the router wants to use 40MHz channel width, those devices will still only use 20MHz channel width.

Many laptops will allow for both to be used.

Beyond that, 2.4GHz is largely best for IOT devices, especially in urban areas where there is so little available airtime that performance will always be slow (but fast enough for IOT products).

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7