× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 modem with WiFi 6 routers

CM1000 modem with WiFi 6 routers

Purchased a TP Links AX6000 and the modem starting having issue.  Called cable company and they denied issue.  Logged is as said and it did reflect some potential cable issues.  However in an attempt to have reliable service during the week timeframe for them to show up I reinstalled my Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 and the modem returned to working properly. During the time the TP Links was in service I did make sure all components had the latest firmware updates.  How is a router making a modem look like it is losing the cable input?  Also the router worked flawlessly when connected directly to a computer.  I have read multilple posts on boards about all brands of WiFi 6 routers causing this modem issues.  Sending the AX6000 back but I do want to upgrade to WiFi 6 but sounds like this modem is unable to handle it.  Will this get corrected?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I personally would avoid anything TP-Link. 

I recommend you try this, get on amazon and find a NG model RAX router, try a RAX80. Amazon has good return policies and usually you have 30 days to try something out. Give a RAX a try with your CM1000. Be sure the modem signals are Good. Besure to use CAT6 LAN cabling between the modem and router and router to wired devices. I would first test the RAX out with what ever FW was loaded on it first, or you can load latest FW. Try something out and see how it goes. 

Another consideration is that do you need AX at this time? Can you fully take advantage of AX? Would a AC class router suffice as well? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 24

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure where your hearing this issue. ANY wifi router should work with any modem. cable or otherwise. 

Couple of factors are signal from ISP service to modem needs to be checked.

Be sure to use good quality RG6 coax cabling.

Be sure that no coax cable line splitters are in use. 

Other problems may stem from faulty wifi routers or bad configurations of the routers. 

The CM1000 is capable of handling 1Gb ISP services. My CM1100 and Orbi AX works fine on a 1Gb service.

Message 2 of 24

On these boards had similar issues.  I was looking at both the Netgear and Linksys as the replacement for the TP Link AX6000 but I see they also cause issues.  Reliability is a very real concern since I host many meetings from home.  (see post discription below)

From another post

New router issues with Netgear CM1000 modem.

I have Cox internet with a Netgear CM1000 modem but have problems with all WiFi 6 routers I have tried and had to return them for locking up or dropping signals.  I have tried both Netgear and Linksys.   I also have a hub plugged in for extra wired devices.  I have 300mbs service,    Any ideas or has anyone else had similar problems?  Cox says signal is great.   I uses the latest firmware all all routers.  

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 5
Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I personally would avoid anything TP-Link. 

I recommend you try this, get on amazon and find a NG model RAX router, try a RAX80. Amazon has good return policies and usually you have 30 days to try something out. Give a RAX a try with your CM1000. Be sure the modem signals are Good. Besure to use CAT6 LAN cabling between the modem and router and router to wired devices. I would first test the RAX out with what ever FW was loaded on it first, or you can load latest FW. Try something out and see how it goes. 

Another consideration is that do you need AX at this time? Can you fully take advantage of AX? Would a AC class router suffice as well? 

Message 4 of 24

I think I will try another router as you suggested. I bought this one from Amazon and it is going back there.

I have been doing a good amount of home automation and currently have over 30 devices on the network.  Do I "need" the WiFi 6 now.  Things are working OK they way they are but I know I am only going to grow.  This stay at home period has turned my wife and I into automation monsters so I want to take it to the next level.

Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok then, sounds like a good project to test out. Hope it works out for you. 

Message 6 of 24

Well that did not work.  Sent back the TP Links AX6000 and bought the Netgear RAX80 as suggested.   Same exact problem is occuring.

It all worked well with the Older Netgear AC rougter all weekend.  Sunday recieved the RAX80 router and immediately started having issues with the modem.  Like the topic of this thread says... it is like this Modem is unable to handle WiFi 6.  Please help if anyone is able. 

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you just have a faulty modem. Please contact NG support and ask for additional help and information. Ask about an RMA. 

This model modem can handle a wifi 6 router connected. 

Message 8 of 24

Spoke with NG support last night.  Downloaded a firmwear HOT FIX for the router that I believe was for the NG router security issues but she said there was other updates.  She did not know if it address this specifically so we are on a wait and see.  It hasn't dropped,  it has been about 12 hours of only mild evening usage.  We will see how it responds today. 

Message 9 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know. 

Message 10 of 24

That was not the silver bullet.  Modem just dropped out and came back with the upstream, downstream and internet lights flashing.  Same as piror. Without touching it the modem restores itself. This is exactly what was happening with the TP-Links AX6000.  I will keep it on if it drops again I will call NG.  However it usually is back up by the time I get through the hold period.  Not satifactory since I will be hosting webex sessions tomorrow and this would not be acceptible. Without a concrete solution I will be putting the old router back in service.  If the modem is bad that is not a good sign for NG since it is only about a year old.

Message 11 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would find you another modem, either same model or a CM1100. Would need to check to see if a different modem does the same thing. I know my CM1100 works well with Wifi 6 routers. Tested a few. IF the different modem still has problems, it maybe ISP related. Something to check out. I would find one on Amazon which has good refund policies. 

Message 12 of 24

So while typing a reply the modem dropped out.  I put the old AC router back in service.  After work I will log onto the modem and get the error log.

If I have to purchase another modem that ups the cost for WiFi 6 and I will probably wait until I "need" WiFi 6 versus getting ahead of the curve.  I would go a different direction than NetGear since I bought this modem (paid more than others) only a year ago and thought I would be getting something that would provide service into the future up to a Gig of service. (only at 250 now). 

After working I will log onto the Modem, print the log, and  put the RAX80 back in service. I'll call NG again and most likely waist another portion of my life on hold.  I don't have a lot of confidence they will have a solution at this point. 

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try another modem to see if the problem continues with the RAX router. You can send it back once you test it out.  I find it odd that the modem seem to exhibit this issue if a RAX router is conencted vs an AC only router. 

I would definately keep in contact with NG support, and keep them looking in to this. It's got to be something they should be able to find. 

Message 14 of 24

Yeah it doesn't appear logical.  The modem should be sending and recieving traffic from the router, regarless of the router. Could they be generating some sort of noise on the line that the modem is unable to handle?  The errors when I had the TP-Links AX6000 on were

Missing BP Configuration setting TLV Type:17.9..................................................

SYNC Timing Snnchronization failur - Filed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing; CM .................................................

No Ranging Response received-T3 Time-out CM-.........................................................................

I attached the modem error log from when the TP-link router was attached.  Researching them would say bad cable but why does the AC2300 work?  And I do get the speed I pay for plus often over my 250.

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Ranging failsures is a ISP signal or modem issue. Routers shouldn't or wouldn't cause this. 

LAN cable is important, even though one might work for one router, it might fail for another. CAT6 is recommended. 

Would be interesting to see if a different modem work. Even an ISP provided one with the RAX.

Message 16 of 24

Just to be clear the cable between the router and the modem matters?  I did not use the cable that came with the Router but used the cable already attached to the modem.  hmmm after work when I am back with the new Router installed I will use the cable that came with it.

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Try that as well. 

Message 18 of 24

WOW worse than ever.  Speed tested prior to taking the old router off 248 and checked tightness of all cable connections.

Disconnected the old router and connected this computer directly to the modem to get the error log (attached).  I also looked at the cable connection and is says good and have the other screen I don't know what to do with it. (2nd attachement).

Shut everything down.  Connected the RAX80 with the new cable.  The modem would come up and almost as soon as the router was fully started the modem would crash out with all lights going amber then off and start flashing green as they restarted.  Restarted everything three times but couldn't get it up and running.  Put the old router back in place and immediately all is working well.

Message 19 of 24

other attachment

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a different modem, even temporarily. Keep in touch with NG support. Ask about an RMA as well. 

Message 21 of 24

Well it is over.  Last night I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Netgear.  Thankfully the issue was happening during the call.  Took all devices back to factory settings.  It was working breifly when we hung up on a 24hr wait and see and I needed to call the ISP to redo the MAC Provissioning on the Modem.  It didn't last a 1/2 hour.  The ISP did the MAC Provisioning and they did all the resets and refreshes they could perform.  With the RAX80 on the system the modem was crashing.  I put the AC2300 (R7000P) back in service and the reliablity is restored.  Hasn't dropped since I re-installed it about 11 hours ago.  The modem is potenitally over a year old so i doubt they will do any returns.  I fought the good fight and have gone way above and beyond a what a normal customer would do to attempt to get this working. Many hours of research, on the phone and actually logging into the various "plug and play" components of the network. 

I really do appreciate your support during this and your replies.  It was very helpful.  Just sorry for the out come.  The router is boxed up and ready to head back to Amazon.

Thank you and God Bless.

Message 22 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck. 

Message 23 of 24

Just an update. For almost 2 weeks now, we have been back on the AC2300 and not even a blip.  Been working fine.  Was at a Best Buy and saw the Netgear WiFi 6 mesh router and the wife asked me if I'm crazy.  Didn't buy it.  Don't think it will work with this modem.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7