× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use RAX120 wi-fi 6 router to make into mesh system

ljp89
Aspirant

Can I use RAX120 wi-fi 6 router to make into mesh system

Nnine months ago I installed a Netgear RAX120 router , replacing an R7000 , in my home of 2200 sq ft. 2 story. I have 2 additional different brand extenders with diferent addresses which creates some problems as I move around the premises. I would like a mesh system but asking if I can use my RAX120 as a router for an Orbi or Netgear mesh system?

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Not for an Orbi

Message 2 of 5

@ljp89 wrote:

I would like a mesh system but asking if I can use my RAX120 as a router for an Orbi or Netgear mesh system?

If you want to forgo the RAX120 as a wifi source, you can use an Orbi router in wireless access point mode as the front end of a Mesh system.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

2200sqft isn't a large home. A single router solution should cover it provided its centrally located and not made of brick, concrete, plaster lathe, adobe, or something else that blocks wifi. 

What is the home made of? 

Have you checked into a mesh extender? if you're only needing 1 satellite/extender, a better option might be going with a mesh extender. 

I'm a fan of the tribands (ex7500, ex7700, ex8000). There's also the AX verison extender (eax20, eax80).  I haven't used the AX extenders so can't attest to how well they work in comparison to the tribands. 

Message 4 of 5
ljp89
Aspirant

Thanks to all who have responded. I will seriously consider adding the eax20 and or eax80 to my RAX120 router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7