× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login to RAX43v2 to change settings

Can't login to RAX43v2 to change settings

Any time I try to login to my router, a RAX43v2, I get prompted for a username and password as expected.  However, as soon as I enter my username and password I get redirected to this stupid, unhelpful, indescript error page. 

StupidInsanity_0-1707443771213.png

The URL it keeps directing me to is: https://accounts-qa.netgear.com/error?redirectUrl=http:%2F%2F192.168.1.1%2Fgenie_redirect_SSO.htm&se... and I am very confused about what is going on with it.  I was trying to get my new TV on the wifi and no matter what I tried I was unable to get it to connect to the main SSID.  It was only connecting on the Guest SSID.

I have tried on 2 different computers, on my phone, it makes no difference. I've even tried the www.routerlogin.com page.  

As it stands I am unable to get in to manage my router.  What gives?  Why does my local admin login have to reach out to the internet for verification? Just let me in to the local administration interface! 

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

I won't expect Netgear does use a "....-qa" system URL on a live production platform - however it appears to happen here.

Head direct to https://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/ for now.

Message 2 of 12

When I go to the local router ip address of 192.168.1.1 and login with my credentials it does the same thing. Redirects to this qa page and says authentication failed. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

No matter what url I try to login to for my router, it kicks to this remote server which is obviously not working.

I still don't understand why a local admin login goes to the Internet at all.
Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

I've had a couple different offline routers from netgear. It doesn't have to be online to log into it. Make me suspious of a couple things. 

1. Try a different browser

2. disable any password managers you're using

3. check if you've got an security (antivirus/malware) that might be running and blocking it

4. are you using armor? 

5. Make sure your password meets minimum requirements. 10 characters, 1 special character, 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number

Message 4 of 12

1. Try a different browser

- I have tried 3 different browsers on 2 different computers and on a mobile phone.

2. disable any password managers you're using

- Tried in browsers without password managers

3. check if you've got an security (antivirus/malware) that might be running and blocking it

- Done, no difference.

4. are you using armor? 

- No

5. Make sure your password meets minimum requirements. 10 characters, 1 special character, 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number

- The password is 20 characters, with all these character classes.

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

...yes, until the day some famous engineers have a wonderful idea, using what is obviously a QA-specific URL in the production code... Never say never @plemans 

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

No doubts, this is definitively not code belonging to a production, released firmware....

Message 8 of 12

So basically, I have to factory reset and redo my entire network setup. Awesome.

Message 9 of 12

@StupidInsanity wrote:

So basically, I have to factory reset and redo my entire network setup. Awesome.

Unless you can find a way in, afraid so.

Do you have a backup of your current configuration?

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

It isn't always a good idea to reload that, but you lose nothing by trying it.

Reload it and see what happens. If all is well, breathe a sigh of relief. If not, pour yourself a stuff drink/cup of coffee and get to work.

Message 10 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@StupidInsanity wrote:

Unless you can find a way in, afraid so.

...or the day Netgear does provide a firmware built without this fancy dual-redirect, and this will be loaded unattended - then yes.

Message 11 of 12

The "solution" was a factory reset.

My last backup was from October.  Guess I'll be doing weekly backups of my config from now on. Thanks Netgear.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX41-42-43-50-54-V2-Firmware-Vers...

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series