× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chanel set up 2.5 GHz & 5 GHz - which channels to use and do I overlay my HUB & AX6000?

RJMW62
Aspirant

Chanel set up 2.5 GHz & 5 GHz - which channels to use and do I overlay my HUB & AX6000?

Hi just set up an AX6000, need to fine Tune.

It is an extremely basic question I need to know.

Do I set up the 2.5GHz & 5GHz channels to be the same on the cable Hub and the AX6000 or not?

If not, how far apart should they be? I have minor channel usage I can detect from neighbours in the ch1 end

I have now set 2.5GHz on ch10 on cable Hub & AX6000

The 5MHz to channel 44 on the cable Hub

The Ax6000 the 5GHz was set at 36+40+44(P) +48, should I set that to just 44 and what's the (P) mean

The cable hub is a Virgin Media Hub4

Thanks

Richard

Message 1 of 5

Re: Chanel set up 2.5 GHz & 5 GHz - which channels to use and do I overlay my HUB & AX6000?

@RJMW62 wrote:

Hi just set up an AX6000, need to fine Tune.

Why? What problem are you trying to fix?

@RJMW62 wrote:

Do I set up the 2.5MHz & 5MHz channels to be the same on the cable Hub and the AX6000 or not?

What is this AX6000? That is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

If it turns out that this is a router, then you are adding router to router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

virgin media hub 4 bridge mode - Google Search

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A lot of people use an Orbi system in AP mode, especially if they have a decent router in front of it. Only you know which of your two routers provides the best features for your needs.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Chanel set up 2.5 GHz & 5 GHz - which channels to use and do I overlay my HUB & AX6000?

They shouldn't be on the same channels. 

have the hub on channel 1 and channel 44

Have whatever your other device is on a higher 6-11 for 2.4ghz and the higher 149+ channels for 5ghz. 

Message 3 of 5
RJMW62
Aspirant

Thank you. I am trying to get the best wifi coverage I can, I live in a 1926 house that's got thick brick walls, not WiFi friendly. The AX600 is a wifi Access point attached to the router by a cat 6 cable. WiFi seems to be complex, currently, I observe that the internet speed on the Cat 6 does not drop, but the Wifi speed fluctuates. Hence the channel question above.

Message 4 of 5

@RJMW62 wrote:

The AX600[0] is a wifi Access point attached to the router by a cat 6 cable.

Which one? (See above.)

The only Netgear extender I can find with that specification is the EAX80.

Just ensure that the extender and the router are not on the same channels.

You'll have to work out what they are in now. There are various apps for phones that can tell you that.

I use Netgear's WiFi Analytics app for Android, among other things.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7