× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change Device Connection Type

BVDpa
Aspirant

Change Device Connection Type

How do I change the connection type for a device that is connected to the wrong connection?  I currently set up both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connections.  When I originally set up my network I was able to control the connections but now I need to make a couple changes and I cannot figure out how to do and I cannot find any helpful documentation.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

did you setup the RAX with smart connect?

If so, the RAX dynamically moves devices from 2.4ghz to 5ghz.

If you did set it up, you need to disable it so you can setup the 2.4ghz and 5ghz ssids to be unique so you have the option of choosing which one you want. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25346/What-is-Smart-Connect-and-how-do-I-enable-or-disable-it-on-my-Nighthawk...

Message 2 of 10
BVDpa
Aspirant

Thanks for replying to my question.

I did not set up smart connect because I wanted to control the connection types to my various devices which was easy to do.  Unfortunatly, now that I would like to make a couple changes, I cannot figure out where to accomplish this task.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 10
BVDpa
Aspirant

Thanks but this article does not address my situation.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Then I guess you need to better describe what you're trying to do so I understand it. 

Message 6 of 10
BVDpa
Aspirant

Hi,

When I originally set up my home network with the RAX80 wireless router I set up both a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz connection option for my network and I originally manually assigned my devices to the appropriate speed network connection types.  It was easy to do but now I want to change a couple connections and I cannot figure out how to change the connection type.  Thanks for your patience and help.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

By connection type do you mean for 2.4ghz to 5ghz?

if so, they need to have seperate ssids (names) to individualize. 

That's the article I linked to.

If not, what do you mean by connection types

Message 8 of 10
BVDpa
Aspirant

Yes, by connection type I mean the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz connections - both have separate SSIDs.

The connection types are displayed on the "connected Devices" screen.

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

You switch it on the device, not the router. 

so go into the device you're using and "forget" the old network. Re-connect using the other radio you want them on. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7