× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect both USB storage drive AND printer to Nighthawk RAX42 (only 1 USB3 port)?

billrenn
Guide

Connect both USB storage drive AND printer to Nighthawk RAX42 (only 1 USB3 port)?

Just installed new Nighthawk RAX42 (AX4200 5-stream WiFi6) router, and successfully set up an external storage drive in the single USB 3.x port.  Updated Windows 10 on most of the networked machines, and latest firmware (v1.0.5.106) installed on the router.

I have a non-network USB printer that I would also like to share via the router. Is there any way to do this? Would a USB 3.x hub be compatible with the router, or would a USB to Ethernet adapter work for this?

Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect both USB storage drive AND printer to Nighthawk RAX42 (only 1 USB3 port)?

I've heard of people using a usb hub to connect more than 1 drive. Can't say if I've read of people connecting hard drives and a printer. 

A usb hub is pretty cheap and if it didn't work, you could always return it. 

Message 2 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Thanks for your reply, @plemans. I do have a spare USB hub sitting around, now that I think of it. Will give that a try, and update with results.

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

Thanks!

I look forward to seeing if it works with that device

Message 4 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Hooked up my USB hub to the router and connected the existing drive along with the printer. The drive still shows up, as it did when connected directly; but I can't get the USB printer to appear. Guess maybe I'll have to figure out a print server to hook up to the old LaserJet. I'm disappointed that Netgear doesn't have a print server solution built in, or even a second USB port, in a router at this price point... my old ASUS that just died had those options, and I miss them already.

Thanks again for your ideas @plemans. I'm still open to any other soluions!

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

Dont' think it'll work. I was looking through the manual/data sheet for that device and it doesn't support a print server that I could find. 

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

ethernet-->usb printer server adapter is almost as expensive as a printer. 

I'd probably just find a way to connect it ot a pc/laptop and share it on your network. 

Message 8 of 18
nielsvds
Luminary

Here you can see how to share an USB printer : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-your-network-printer-c9a152b5-59f3-b6f3-c99f-f39e5...
The PC with the USB printer connected should be active and connected to the network. Also should be in the same subnet otherwise it will not be available for all other devices to print to.

Message 9 of 18

@plemans wrote:

I've heard of people using a usb hub to connect more than 1 drive. Can't say if I've read of people connecting hard drives and a printer. 

A usb hub is pretty cheap and if it didn't work, you could always return it. 

Yup. If you have a USB drive with secondary USB ports, you could try putting a printer on one of these.

I have just confirmed that you can do this with an 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub. That has two USB ports on the front.

But the RAX42 falls at the first hurdle. It does not say that it supports printers attached to the USB. So no amount of messing around with hubs and add-on devices is likely to fix that.

Message 10 of 18

@billrenn wrote:

Just installed new Nighthawk RAX42 (AX4200 5-stream WiFi6) router, and successfully set up an external storage drive in the single USB 3.x port. 

Did this router replace something else?

I ask because there is on possible solution that I haven't seen mentioned before.

Netgear sells wifi extenders that support a USB printer. EX6200 for example.

Probably not worth investing money to get this feature, but if you have an old router lying around that does support a USB printer, it might be worth putting that into AP mode and seeing if the printer works.

This isn't billed as one of the features that fall over when a router goes AP.

Message 11 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Yes, it looks like you are correct. I'll have to find another way to share the printer. In the meantime, it's connected to my wife's computer and shared--which works fine, except that she shuts her computer down in the evening.

Thanks again for your help, and for looking into this!

Message 12 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Thanks, @FURRYe38 for your suggestion--much appreciated! I've been reading up on StarTech's wireless model PM1115UW. Think I'll order that and try turning the old LaserJet into a wireless printer. Will update on that once tested.

Message 13 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Thanks--that's what I'm doing at this time, which works well as long as the printer-connected computer is running. There's a StarTech wireless USB printer server adapter that I've ordered for just under $60, and will see how well that works. I'd rather not invest in another laser printer and lose more desk space, while the existing printer has been working flawlessly; although that's definitely an option.

Message 14 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Thanks @nielsvds I'm doing that now for the time being, just wanted a little more independance from my wife's computer, where the printer is connected. She likes to shut it down when it's not in use...  🙂

Message 15 of 18
billrenn
Guide

@michaelkenward Thanks, it appears that that is the answer--there isn't a way. I'm going to try a wireless printer server adapter, and if that isn't successful, may have to look into a router that does support printing options like my ASUS did. That router failed a couple of days ago, and my only quick replacement option was an evening visit to Wal-Mart. The NightHawk looked to be a robust, feature-filled router, but I hadn't had the time to read up on it beforehand. Guess it's returnable if I need to.

Message 16 of 18
billrenn
Guide

Yes, the NightHawk replaces an ASUS RT-AC68U that died a couple evenings ago. The NightHawk was a quick emergency replacement--I figured that it would offer a similar printer server option that the ASUS had, since it seems to be a fairly high end consumer router.

You're right, it's probably not worth investing in more equipment to try and accomplish sharing the printer wirelessly. Will have to think about whether to keep my new Netgear router.

Message 17 of 18

@billrenn wrote:

The NightHawk looked to be a robust, feature-filled router, but I hadn't had the time to read up on it beforehand. Guess it's returnable if I need to.

It doesn't help that Netgear keeps messing around witj features. Take the Orbi range, these have a USB port but it doesn't do anything.

The cynic in me says that, unlike parental controls and security stuff, Netgear can't charge for these features as a service.

And why not enable USB printing on all the RAX range? It is there on the RAX40 (one USB port). Also the RAX80 and RAX120 (both with 2 USB ports).

You could trade in for one of those.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7