× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting a RAX120 to the modem via ethernet switch

Padishah
Tutor

Connecting a RAX120 to the modem via ethernet switch

I had posted this question in, it appears, the wrong forum. It was suggested that I move it here.

I need to move my router and a couple of router connected devices to a shelf some distance away.  There is a single Ethernet cable to the shelf. It appears as though I need both the Internet port to modem cable and the router to a switch to connect all my wireless and wired devices.

Is it possible to setup the following? 

Internet Modem --> Ethernet Switch --> cable --> Ethernet Switch --> Router internet port

In this way I'd connect the router internet port to the switch, to the single cable to the 2nd switch and to the modem port. This would also allow the devices close to the router to be connected to the ethernet ports there and be reachable.

I have an ethernet splitter that I can use but that steps both the connection to the modem and the uplink connection to my existing switch to 100MBs which isn't desirable ... unless there is a splitter that would support shared 1GBs over the wire.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Padishah
Tutor

Thanks to all who replied with various solutions to my issue.  In the end, I decided to try the powerline device. I'm not in a high interference area and power is rather stable so went that way for now.  I've been up and running for about a week now with no issues that I've noticed.  

That said, I'll keep the EdgeRouter X/DMZ configuration in mind if this doesn't work out in the long run.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you mean wireless bridge, I believe so. 

Check the user manual for these options. Most RAX routers have AP mode at least. The last RAX80 I had also supported wireless bridge mode. 

Message 2 of 19
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 
It its only a modem (not modem/router combo device), potentially you can use the switch but only if the router is the only thing connected and its an unmanaged switch. 

I'll explain why. 

A modem only device (for most ISP's) only is assigned 1 public ip address. If that address gets assigned to a computer/other devices that isn't a router with dhcp capacity, then the router doesn't get the Public ip address and can't assign private IP addresses to the devices connected to it. 

So can you go modem---->switch---->router? only if nothing else other than the router is connected. And only if that switch is a simple unmanaged switch.

If you're needing to connect other devices to the switch, then no, you can't use that option. You'd need to go modem--->router--->switch/devices.  

If the modem is in fact a modem/router combo device, then its easier. Then you can connect whatever you want to it and just use the netgear in access point mode to prevent a double nat. 

so what modem is it? 

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

My bad, posted wrong info.

It is if thats the only device connected to the switches. Nothing else can be connected to the switches. It would not be recommended. 

Optimal configuration should be: 

Internet Modem --> Router internet port --> Ethernet Switch 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you mean wireless bridge, I believe so. 

Check the user manual for these options. Most RAX routers have AP mode at least. The last RAX80 I had also supported wireless bridge mode. 

Message 4 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

Thanks for the responses. This is basically what I concluded.  I think I'm stuck then.

Message 5 of 19
plemans
Guru

got an old gigabit router sitting around? 

I've went modem---->old router (wifi disabled)---->switches/devices-----Router (in AP mode)  

I've done this more than 1 time in homes that have to have the modem in a location not optimal for a wireless router but needing switches/ethernet connections there. 

Message 6 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

I'm going to try an Ethernet Bridge like this.  I'm thinking I can hard wire (on the one Cat 5 I have) the router to the modem and then use the bridge for the other connected devices so something like

RAX120 --> Cable --> Modem and on one of the available router ports
RAX120 Port out --> Bridge --> remote switch --> Network

Seems like that should work but I'll report back.

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using at least CAT6 cabling. 

Message 8 of 19
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't. 

I like powerline devices but they're sensitive to interference. 

for the same price, you can get a refurbed gigabit router. 

It doesn't need to be anything fancy. 

Or even an old edgerouter x or mikrotik gigabit router would work.

Message 9 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

I can't effectively change the cabling. It was built into the house during construction so would need to go through walls etc.

Message 10 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

I may have an old router out in the garage someplace.  In this configuration or if I were to get an EdgeRouter X for this purpose (sorry to be slow here) what would be the topology?

Modem --> EdgeRouter --> switch --> (existing cable) --> RAX 120 

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RAX being used as your main host router or just in AP mode for wireless coverage? 

Message 12 of 19
plemans
Guru

@Padishah wrote:

I may have an old router out in the garage someplace.  In this configuration or if I were to get an EdgeRouter X for this purpose (sorry to be slow here) what would be the topology?

Yes, that'd be how you set it up. But you'd put the RAX in access point mode to prevent a double nat. that leaves the edgerouter (or whatever you use) managing routing functions. The RAX would still be able to be used for wifi/ethernet without issues. 

Message 13 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

Got it, thanks. 

The only issues with the RAX in AP mode is that some functions that I need to use like guest network are not available. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If you use this configuration:

You'll be in double NAT condition, which isn't recommended, however to elleaviate this condition, use the EdgeRouters DMZ for the RAX in router mode if you want to use router mode. 

Message 15 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

Thanks to all who replied with various solutions to my issue.  In the end, I decided to try the powerline device. I'm not in a high interference area and power is rather stable so went that way for now.  I've been up and running for about a week now with no issues that I've noticed.  

That said, I'll keep the EdgeRouter X/DMZ configuration in mind if this doesn't work out in the long run.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

Message 17 of 19
Padishah
Tutor

Sorry to be blind but how/where do I mark a thread as resolved. I'm not seeing it in the Community UI.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops looks like you already did. No worries.

Enjoy. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7