× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices blocked that have been previously allowed

Nickhog
Aspirant

Devices blocked that have been previously allowed

Nighthawk AX12 RAX120, Firmware V1.2.8.40, windows 10, Android and Samsung phone

Router Settings - Advanced-Security-Access Control - Turn On Access Control (checked),  Allow all new devices to connect.

Phones Status shows - Allowed

Phones that were previously connected and could access internet, cannot access when re-connected. 

After reconnecting, they still show in the list and Status still shows allowed but cannot access internet.

If I check the the box for the phone, click on allow, apply, then the phone will connect.

Disconnect the phone from the WIFI, Reconnect to WIFI.  I get the same process as above.

Phones do not show in Blocked List

Phones work fine on other WIFI networks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Devices blocked that have been previously allowed

@Nickhog wrote:

Phone is a moto Edge+ (2020) Android 12.   Samsung is S20

I understand what you are saying but, seems to me the Setting Allow all new devices to connect should see randomized mac as a new device each time.  My interpretation may not be correct, however, I turned randomize off on the phone and it doesn't change the problem.

I do need to clarify.  After more digging, the problem is not "all" internet access. Just several apps.  Amazon Shopping, Little Cesars, and a few others that are not accessing the internet.

I have always been Leary of factory reset.  Just seems that it's always havoc to get back to normal and restoring my settings.  I plan to  begun saving a backup cfg when things are all working well.   All that said, I finally resorted to a factory reset.  With Access Control turned off, phones are working fine.   At this point, I assume that there was some other setting that was causing the problem.  Bottom line, I'm back in business and everything seems good for now.... 

Thank you for taking time to offer suggestions.....

I appreciate the status update.

In my opinion, the access control feature has been problematic for as long as I have been around Netgear routers.  Simply based on the performance hit, I always recommend it be disabled and left that way.  Your response reinforces that position.

Glad you are up and running with internet access.

Request you mark this as solved so others can benefit.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@Nickhog wrote:

Nighthawk AX12 RAX120, Firmware V1.2.8.40, windows 10, Android and Samsung phone

Router Settings - Advanced-Security-Access Control - Turn On Access Control (checked),  Allow all new devices to connect.

Phones Status shows - Allowed

Phones that were previously connected and could access internet, cannot access when re-connected. 

After reconnecting, they still show in the list and Status still shows allowed but cannot access internet.

If I check the the box for the phone, click on allow, apply, then the phone will connect.

Disconnect the phone from the WIFI, Reconnect to WIFI.  I get the same process as above.

Phones do not show in Blocked List

Phones work fine on other WIFI networks.

What is the model number of the phone and what is the version of Android are you running?

Access control is tied to the MAC address of the client.  If you have MAC address randomization enabled, you are going to have problems with access control.  Applies to both Android and iOS devices.

Message 2 of 4
Nickhog
Aspirant

I understand what you are saying but, seems to me the Setting Allow all new devices to connect should see randomized mac as a new device each time.  My interpretation may not be correct, however, I turned randomize off on the phone and it doesn't change the problem.

I do need to clarify.  After more digging, the problem is not "all" internet access. Just several apps.  Amazon Shopping, Little Cesars, and a few others that are not accessing the internet.

I have always been Leary of factory reset.  Just seems that it's always havoc to get back to normal and restoring my settings.  I plan to  begun saving a backup cfg when things are all working well.   All that said, I finally resorted to a factory reset.  With Access Control turned off, phones are working fine.   At this point, I assume that there was some other setting that was causing the problem.  Bottom line, I'm back in business and everything seems good for now.... 

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@Nickhog wrote:

I appreciate the status update.

In my opinion, the access control feature has been problematic for as long as I have been around Netgear routers.  Simply based on the performance hit, I always recommend it be disabled and left that way.  Your response reinforces that position.

Glad you are up and running with internet access.

Request you mark this as solved so others can benefit.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7