× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disabling management over WiFi

fo0barbaz
Tutor

Disabling management over WiFi

Nighthawk AX5200/RAX48 wifi 6 router

Is there a way to disable the router management over WiFi?  I only want to manage the router from wired LAN connection. 

Disabled the remote management on the WAN port and would like to do the same over WiFi.  Since WiFi and LAN share the same subnet, the LAN router management interface probably can't distinguish between the two.  Disabling the management interface over WiFi would mean one less attack vector.  I'm wondering if anyone has managed to do it in 2021?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Disabling management over WiFi

Not that I know of. 

Message 2 of 4
fo0barbaz
Tutor

Thanks.  The more I dig in, I'm finding netgear designed the firmeware for convenience over security.  I'm sure other doing the same thing.  I just hope netgear consider giving us the option to turn off the management over WiFi.  I get it this router is for home use and the majority of the users aren't that tech savy.   They should give the power users the options to plug potential security holes.  I have a custom firmware in my 5-year-old Linksys router and can disable so many things like WPS, management over WiFi, etc. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@fo0barbaz wrote:

Thanks.  The more I dig in, I'm finding netgear designed the firmeware for convenience over security. ----You're 100% right in this. The consumer side of equipment is definitly made more for convenience versus all the bells and whistles. You'll find more of the added in features/upgraded specs when you move to the business line of routers/AP's. They make the consumer version pretty basic because most users don't need them or won't understand how to use the features and then tend to "troubleshoot" and make things worse. So for consumer devices   simple=works   and simple=lower support costs 

I have a custom firmware in my 5-year-old Linksys router and can disable so many things like WPS, management over WiFi, etc. ----The key word there was "custom". It wasn't from factory. Some of netgears routers do support 3rd party firmwares. Not all of them but some. 3rd party firmwares have opened up a lot of features. But those features tend to be because someone who knew what they were doing added the 3rd party firmware. Your average consumer doesn't know how to do it or that its even an option. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7