× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: Router IP

Reggraham
Follower

[DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: Router IP

I have just started receiving [DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: 192.168.0.1 messages in the ORBI RBR350 log, although I have had the Orbi for about 9 month I have only just started using it as a router because of problems with my Virgin Media Router. 192.168.0.1 is the IP address of the router I  used this as I had this was the network address of the previous router and I had two many devices with fixed IP. Is this a bug with the router's DoS software being that the overall software is a bit flakey, I no longer use the DHCP server in built as after a reboot of any kind the DHCP function does not work and needs to be turned off and then back on again , much easier to put an unused RaspBerry Pi in as a DHCP server. Generally NETGEAR Armour looks OK it doesn't have too much effect on performance, I have a 1GB broadband, if this is just a bug and can be ignored then I will just means that it is harder to spot genuine attacks in the log.

Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: [DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: Router IP

Flase positive. 95% of all reported "attacks" are invalid. NETGEAR is famous about that. Turn off logging or turn off DoS protection completely. It's a waste of resources.
Message 2 of 3

Re: [DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: Router IP

@microchip8 wrote:
Flase positive. 95% of all reported "attacks" are invalid. NETGEAR is famous about that.

Spot on.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7