× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Doesnt allow more than 10 devices

Moose141
Aspirant

Doesnt allow more than 10 devices

I have the nighthawk RAX70. Everything I find online says this model can handle anywhere between 20 and 25 devices (depending on the source)

Mine seems to boot a device off every time we get to 10 devices.
I have 1 gig internet services, so it's not like I'm lacking in supply... any ideas here? I just updated to the newest firmware yesterday and still have the same issue. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 8

Re: Doesnt allow more than 10 devices

@Moose141 wrote:

Mine seems to boot a device off every time we get to 10 devices.

What actually happens?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 8
Moose141
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Okay so this nighthawk is the only router. The latest firmware version is v1.1.0.88

As I'm typing this reply our Google home "woke up" and my cell which I'm typing on got booted off. Gives me the little exclamation mark and nothing works. But the internet works fine on every other device.

This issue only started since we got the Google home. I'm assuming because we added another device to the network.

I have 2 smart tvs, a laptop, desktop, ps3, ps4, iPad, Samsung phone, iPhone, robot vacuum, printer and now a Google home. Not all of them on at the same time. I shut things off when not in use. Do I just have too much for this nighthawk to handle?
Message 3 of 8

@Moose141 wrote:

Okay so this nighthawk is the only router. The latest firmware version is v1.1.0.88

I asked about the modem in front of the router. (It may be a "gateway" or an Optical Network Terminator (ONT). Make and model?

And unless you have a special version that is not firmware for the RAX70.

Nighthawk RAX70 | WiFi 6 Router | NETGEAR Support

This issue only started since we got the Google home. I'm assuming because we added another device to the network.

Why do you make that assumption?

Have you looked into the logs of your router?

Message 4 of 8
Moose141
Aspirant

No. I don't know how to look into the logs.
I don't have another modem in front of it. I have fiber internet. It comes into the house and has a little white box the size of a wallet. I believe it is just a power supply for the box on the outside of the house. From that the ethernet cable runs into the internet input on the nighthawk.
Message 5 of 8
Moose141
Aspirant

The nighthawk is the R6350. I was looking into buying the RAX70 and copy and pasted the wrong model number. My apologies.
Message 6 of 8

@Moose141 wrote:
The nighthawk is the R6350.

A very different animal. Not even a Nighthawk model.

Pretty basic. Nothing like the RAX70 which may well support all the devices that you expect to support.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The R6350 should support more than 10 devices, but who knows how many connections your wifi clients really use?

Message 7 of 8
Moose141
Aspirant

Fair enough. I think I'll just upgrade to the rax70 then. Appreciate the help
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements