× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable Mu-Mimo on RAX200

psychopomp123
Luminary

Enable Mu-Mimo on RAX200

Just a heads up if you're using a RAX200: Mu-Mimo is NOT enabled by default. You have to manually switch this on by going to 

ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings > Enable Mu-Mimo

With Mu-Mimo enabled, i'm now getting better wifi throughput on Mu-Mimo clients such as Asus PCE-AC88U.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

Re: Enable Mu-Mimo on RAX200

MU-MIMO doesn’t help the PCE-AC88U as it already has 4 streams... Also Broadcom has improved MU but no-where bear Qualcomm chipsets in tangible benefits on BCM clients it can still cause worse performance than without MU enabled, that’s why it’s not on by default unlike in the RAX120.
Message 2 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

MU helps when the router has open streams to deal with clients in parallel as in 2x 2 stream clients, 4x 1 stream clients, 1 x 2 stream client plus 2 x 2 stream clients. With a 4 stream client device the RAX200 is not going to be deal with in parallel as each 5Ghz band only has 4 streams on that router, unless you have an RAX120 or another router which has 8 streams on the 5 Ghz band.....

But as stated earlier in Broadcom chipsets MU is better turned off.
Message 3 of 11
psychopomp123
Luminary

Even if there's no benefit to my PCE-AC88U, i still have other 2x2 Mu-Mimo clients such as Nvidia Shield TV box, Samsung S10, iphone X and iphone XS connected to the RAX200 so I'm going to leave the Mu-Mimo setting on. As I said, it seems to have improved the wireless speeds wrt stable throughput. 

Message 4 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

You are confusing MU-MIMO with standard MIMO, iPhones and the nvidia shield don’t support MU-MIMO and the Broadcom chip in the Galaxy phones had an issue where they intermittently dropped to single stream mode with MU enabled.

Also if devices are too close to each other MU does not work, SmallNetbuilder already did enough testing on this, if it’s not harming leave it on but NG made the right decision by leaving it off since this is a Broadcom router.

Message 5 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

Seems like a placebo effect sorry to say.
Message 6 of 11
psychopomp123
Luminary

Well I was getting worse wifi performance on the RAX200 with Mu-Mimo turned off compared to my Linksys EA9500v2 (which has Mu-Mimo enabled by default). Now with Mu-Mimo enabled on the RAX200, wifi performance on both is identical, ie excellent.

Message 7 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

I still say placebo, I suggest you read how MU actually works. Just because you enabled it doesn’t mean it’s doing anything unless it can form an MU group of two or more MU clients. And you also need a decent separation of at least like 5ft between two MU capable client devices for it to even work properly.

I have an RAX80. The RAX80 is practically the same as the RAX200 as it uses the same WiFi chipset and CPU minus the extra 5Ghz band, I actually have 5 MU capable clients (3x laptops with an Intel AX200 WiFi card and 2x laptops with an Intel 8265 AC WiFi card and as expected it didn’t do much on the RAX80 and at times performance was much worse when doing parallel WiFi based LAN transfers to and from my NAS.

Now with the Qualcomm based R7800 and RAX120 there was a tangible notice in certain conditions with MU enabled, but it wouldn’t say cal it a night and day difference.
Message 8 of 11
psychopomp123
Luminary

"The RAX80 is practically the same as the RAX200 as it uses the same WiFi chipset and CPU minus the extra 5Ghz band"

Isn't that a bit like saying a BMW 1 series is the same as a BMW 7 series minus xxx? Yes, I'm well aware that the RAX 80 uses the same chipset as the RAX200 and if I needed a dual-band router then i would have gone for the RAX80 or RAX120. But I didn't. I wanted a tri-band router due to shed load of wifi devices connected simultaneously (~50). My previous routers (Linksys EA9500v2 & Asus RT-AC5300) have all been tri-band so i find it hugely beneficial to manually allocate clients to each of the 3 bands. I don't think I will ever go back to a dual-band router ever again 🙂

Message 9 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

I mentioned the RAX80 for purposes of comparable MU testing as it’s the same chipset as your router.

But as for dual vs tri since you brought it up, in a home environment for most people it makes little difference as at most maybe only 4-5 devices are truly actively using any considerable amount of bandwidth constantly at any time with the rest just intermittently syncing/updating data or just idling.

Also you are still limited by the WAN so yeah if you have gigabit and are in like an office like environment yeah it can make a difference with many “active” users, but in a standard home environment especially for those with like 10-300 Mbps connections it won’t make much of a difference. On the other hand it is good for mesh though with a 2nd band for back haul.
Message 10 of 11
avtella
Prodigy

FYI I’m not judging your purchase decision regarding Tri-Band or whatever your use case may be, just pointing the above mentioned points as I’ve seen a lot people upsold to tri bands at stores with misleading information.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7