× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FW 1.0.12.120 - RAX45 - Sonos Problems

RobertFord0
Tutor

FW 1.0.12.120 - RAX45 - Sonos Problems

FW 1.0.12.120 on RAX45 caused an issues with all of my Sonos devices. They could not connect to the network, even after I factory reset them. I spent over 2 hours with Sonos support.

Next, I did a factory reset on the RAX45 and reinstalled the FW with a computer connect to ethernet, but it did not fix the issue. Finally, I did a factory reset and reverted back to 1.0.11.112. The older FW fixed the issue. 

I would prefer not to do further testing unless there is known serious security vulnerability. Does anyone know what CVEs and rating such as 7.5 that 1.0.12.120 fixed from 1.0.11.112? I may have missed it in error, but could not find specifics for the RAX45: https://www.netgear.com/about/security Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @RobertFord0 ,

Can we know what's model for Sonos devices ?

And how Sonons devices connect to RAX45, via 2.4g/5g/wired ?

Thanks

Message 2 of 8
RobertFord0
Tutor

Hi Iyang, 

The Sonos devices below had problems on wireless using FW 1.0.12.120. For troubleshooting, I disabled WiFi 6 on the router. There were no problems with Ethernet. It is not practical to use Ethernet with my setup, so I reverted back to the older FW.

Playbar - 2.4g (I don't believe 5g is supported.)

Play:1 - 2.4/5g

Are there any serious security vulnerabilities with the previous FW? I was thinking of waiting for the next FW release.

Message 3 of 8
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @RobertFord0 ,

You mentioned that you disabled WiFi 6 on the router.

Can I know what's function do you disable, or can you share the screenshot ?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
RobertFord0
Tutor

Hi Iyang,

I cleared the Enable AX check box. I followed these instructions: https://kb.netgear.com/000060387/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-WiFi-6-features-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
tedpoch
Initiate

My Sonos Play:3 also has problems with this firmware V1.0.12.120_2.0.83 . I'm surprised not more people are complaining about this. Though I have seen a few other threads about problems with this new firmware.

The Sonos is unable to play songs from music services like Pandora, though it is able to configure the service account and retrieve channels, etc.

The Sonos is able to play songs from devices on the network.

And everything works fine with a wired ethernet connection.

Reverting to the previous router firmware resolves the issue and allows the Sonos app to play Pandora with a wireless connection.
Message 6 of 8
Oilmanjim
Initiate

Same problem with RAX50 router. I also fixed problem connecting wirelessly by reloading older firmware. I even bought a 2nd RAX50 router thinking it was a router problem with the 2.4 GHz signal which my S1 Sonos uses. Turned out it was the firmware all along.
Message 7 of 8
BuddyFox
Initiate

Wow - thank you so much! I've been spinning my wheels the past two months trying to figure out what is wrong with my Sonos.  I thought I had exhausted all options and then found this today!! Totally saved my Sonos setup!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7