× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update V1.0.13.128 killed my internet access

shirsc
Tutor

Firmware update V1.0.13.128 killed my internet access

The RAX70 router recently prompted me to update to firmware version V1.0.13.128 from V1.0.12.114.  The update killed my internet access. It seems that the new firmware fails to handle my ISP DHCP lease renewal properly.  My ISP issues a 30 minute lease, but the router does not renew it and I loose internet access. The router has to be reset every 30 minutes to get internet access working again.

Anyone else have this issue?  I had to downgrade the firmware back to version V1.0.12.114 to fix the problem. This is unfortunate as I don't want to miss out on the security fixes that were made in  V1.0.13.128.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware update V1.0.13.128 killed my internet access

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

Message 2 of 6
microchip8
Master

A 30 minutes lease means the router has to update it every 15 minutes. It might be (not sure) that this lease is too low for the new firmware.

If it was previously working on the older firmware, you might revert to it while in a future version the issue is resolved.

Also, a factory reset and then loading up the new firmware might fix the issue...

Message 3 of 6
shirsc
Tutor

I'm now second guessing the culprit being the firmware update. Before the update was initiated, I tried to do a large copy of files from my laptop to the connected USB drive on my RAX 70 router.  The file copy was initiated on a laptop with Wi-Fi, but it was taking forever and I got several errors on some files. I eventually attached the laptop to the router via a CAT6 cable to try and help the file copy go faster. I recall finally giving up after waiting for a very long time. Then I performed the firmware upgrade and that is when the internet connection problems started.

Since I thought I was having the internet problems with the new firmware upgrade, I downgraded to the previous firmware version. I no longer had the Internet connection problems, but I also had not reattached the USB drive to the router. My assumption at that time was that the new firmware had caused the Internet connection problems.

At that point, I followed the advice on this message  board to completely reset the router to factory defaults. Then I installed the latest firmware. I reconfigured the router and everything was working great. However, I had not attached the USB drive to the router. The router was running for several days without any issues at all using the new firmware. However, I attached the USB drive to the router yesterday, and once again it started having Internet connection problems. I wonder if this software is somehow getting consumed with some random accesses to the USB drive and not updating the DHCP request for a new IP address from the ISP?

I'm using a Seagate USB drive that is 6 terabytes. It has been working without issue for at least a year on my RAX 70 router.  My USB drive works fine when I connect it directly to my laptop.

I need the USB drive to work on the router for network storage and Windows backups. I need to know why I lose the internet connection periodically if I attach the USB drive to the router!!!!

Message 4 of 6
shirsc
Tutor

Correction – my external USB drive is a 6TB Western Digital “My Book”

Message 5 of 6
shirsc
Tutor

I have a follow up post now that I have fixed the problem. However, I can't say for sure what the root cause of the problem was. It does appear that the big file copy I did to the USB drive connected to my router before the firmware upgrade is what caused the problem. I noticed that the files on the hard drive were very close to the one-terabyte mark on my 6-terabyte USB hard drive. I don't know if that was a factor, but it is interesting that once I got close to one-terabyte of files on the drive I started having all these issues. I did a shrink on my 6-terabyte hard drive. I essentially created two drives, one of four terabytes and one of two terabytes. I set up readyshare to use the two-terabyte partition on my USB hard drive. I started over with using it as a network file share. Everything seems to be working properly again. However, I only have about 200 gigabytes on the two-terabyte drive so far …

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7