× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting OK WiFi speeds on my FIOS GIGABIT

xxtensazenxx
Guide

Getting OK WiFi speeds on my FIOS GIGABIT

The device I'm using for testing is my Galaxy S22 Ultra - which I know has a good chip in it.
My link Speed is 1.9Gbps on the phone, yet I get around 300-450mbps down on the speedtest app. Upload I get 900mbps, which seems really strange to me. I've looked around this website and I cant really find any answers, and most users giving up and buying a different brand router, which I'm very close to but I figure ill try to see if there is an actual fix.

I tried a fresh factory reset and I even manually uploaded the firmware from the .IMG file from the firmware download. Not sure where to start but

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact your ISP about regarding there FIOS equipement. This is Netgear forum for Netgear RAX series routers. 

Do you have a NG router? What model if so? 

Message 2 of 7
xxtensazenxx
Guide

Its plugged right into the RAX router from the ONT..... I think its a little pre-mature to pass the blame and troubleshooting off to the ISP, I didn't realize Netgear was in this dire of a state. I guess I'll be ordering another brand. 

I really thought there'd be some ideas being thrown around instead of just defaulting to shifting the blame to someone else - when literally its only this router I'm having issues with 🙂

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

It's helpful to state the NG router model. 

Is there a model# of the RAX router? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is Smart Connect enabled? 
Beamforming or MIMO enabled? 

What WiFi devices are you using? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 7
xxtensazenxx
Guide

OK 🙂 I thought I included it in the original post, my apologies.

-Nighthawk AX12 RAX120v2
-Router Firmware Version V1.2.3.28

-I was not aware there is any way to see the MANF and Model # of the ONT. its outside and sealed so I'm not quite sure where to look.

-Smart connect = disabled 
MIMO & TX Beamforming = Enabled

- Testing it on my PS5 and my S22 Ultra, as well as my ipad mini (2019 ver I think). 

I was using Channel 36. Switched to 48 and now my upload speed is 960mbps and download is 333mbps. Which is weird as my download is usually higher. Not sure why upload seems to be much more stable of a connection for me, though that was kind of my reason for creating the thread.

As far as wifi near me, I have 6-7 wifi.
-NVidia shield (bedroom) which has a network
-HP ENVY Pro 6400 (printer)
-Neighbor #1's WiFi 2.4GHZ(medium strength)
-Neighbor #1's WiFi 5GHZ (Low)
-Neighbor #2's WiFi (weaker)
-Neighbor #3's WiFi (weakest)

Message 5 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

Are you able to test the speeds with a different device?
Also are you using any 3rd party security apps on your phone?
Some apps, especially if they scan incoming traffic, will cause a download bottleneck due to 1 CPU core reaching 100% load from network activity alone. (any app that that is actively routing data over a VPN or is simply inspecting packets, will cause the device to lose the benefits of CTF and other hardware acceleration while the app is in use.

You can determine if you are having that issue by using an app like 3c toolbox to check the CPU usage while doing a speed test.

Beyond that, it is also good to test the speed with a wired device to ensure that the issue is not happened on wired devices as well.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I Apologize as well. 

Checking on any updates on this? 

@xxtensazenxx wrote:

OK 🙂 I thought I included it in the original post, my apologies.

-Nighthawk AX12 RAX120v2
-Router Firmware Version V1.2.3.28

-I was not aware there is any way to see the MANF and Model # of the ONT. its outside and sealed so I'm not quite sure where to look.

-Smart connect = disabled 
MIMO & TX Beamforming = Enabled

- Testing it on my PS5 and my S22 Ultra, as well as my ipad mini (2019 ver I think). 

I was using Channel 36. Switched to 48 and now my upload speed is 960mbps and download is 333mbps. Which is weird as my download is usually higher. Not sure why upload seems to be much more stable of a connection for me, though that was kind of my reason for creating the thread.

As far as wifi near me, I have 6-7 wifi.
-NVidia shield (bedroom) which has a network
-HP ENVY Pro 6400 (printer)
-Neighbor #1's WiFi 2.4GHZ(medium strength)
-Neighbor #1's WiFi 5GHZ (Low)
-Neighbor #2's WiFi (weaker)
-Neighbor #3's WiFi (weakest)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7