× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Go Back to ONLY ONE ACL for 2 Nighthawk Routers

Jacob_of-Aus
Aspirant

Go Back to ONLY ONE ACL for 2 Nighthawk Routers

We have a WiFi system in a large house, on the ground floor Netgear AX4200 (RAX43), and on the  3rd floor (until recently)  Netgear AC3200 (R8000) which are connected by cable that carries the Internet signal from the ground floor to the 3rd floor (from one of the ethernet ports to the Internet port respectively).

With that configurations, we used ONLY ONE Access list which resided on the ground floor router and the ACL disabled on the 3rd floor router

Using web browse, when I logged in as admin to Control Panel on the ground floor and looked at Access List I could see all devices that are connected to both routers, the one connect to the downstairs router showed the wifi channel of the connection (e.g "Wireless [SSID here} 2.4G" , those devices that were connected upstairs show the connection  as "Wired" which was good enough for me.

All was good until now.

That is until we replaced the router upstairs with a Netgear AX5400 (RAX50) with identical configuration and Internet connection as described above. However, now the Access list display ONLY the devices that are connected to downstairs router and nothing from upstairs.

To get the list of the devices that connected upstairs, I had to create a second Access list which totally unacceptable.

Can someone here enlighten me as to how to revert to one, and one only access list, assuming it is possible.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Go Back to ONLY ONE ACL for 2 Nighthawk Routers

@Jacob_of-Aus wrote:

We have a WiFi system in a large house, on the ground floor Netgear AX4200 (RAX43), and on the  3rd floor (until recently)  Netgear AC3200 (R8000) which are connected by cable that carries the Internet signal from the ground floor to the 3rd floor (from one of the ethernet ports to the Internet port respectively).

With that configurations, we used ONLY ONE Access list which resided on the ground floor router and the ACL disabled on the 3rd floor router

Using web browse, when I logged in as admin to Control Panel on the ground floor and looked at Access List I could see all devices that are connected to both routers, the one connect to the downstairs router showed the wifi channel of the connection (e.g "Wireless [SSID here} 2.4G" , those devices that were connected upstairs show the connection  as "Wired" which was good enough for me.

All was good until now.

That is until we replaced the router upstairs with a Netgear AX5400 (RAX50) with identical configuration and Internet connection as described above. However, now the Access list display ONLY the devices that are connected to downstairs router and nothing from upstairs.

To get the list of the devices that connected upstairs, I had to create a second Access list which totally unacceptable.

Can someone here enlighten me as to how to revert to one, and one only access list, assuming it is possible.

Thank you

From your description, it appears your original 3rd floor device, the R8000, was configured as a wired access point.  That had to be done on purpose.  It did not come out of the box that way.  Have your configured your new 3rd floor router, the RAX50, as a wired access point?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@Jacob_of-Aus wrote:

All was good until now.

Thank you

From your description, it appears your original 3rd floor device, the R8000, was configured as a wired access point.  That had to be done on purpose.  It did not come out of the box that way.  Have your configured your new 3rd floor router, the RAX50, as a wired access point?

Message 2 of 6
Jacob_of-Aus
Aspirant

@Kitsap

Thanks for your prompt replay.

It happened quite a few years back ( circa 2015 with D6300 Modem Router (later used as router only until I replace it with the current router downstairs) I do not recall doing anything special, other then ensure that the cable connection is correct (from 'Ethernet' port1 downstairs to Internet port upstairs.)

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Jacob_of-Aus wrote:

@Kitsap

Thanks for your prompt replay.

It happened quite a few years back ( circa 2015 with D6300 Modem Router (later used as router only until I replace it with the current router downstairs) I do not recall doing anything special, other then ensure that the cable connection is correct (from 'Ethernet' port1 downstairs to Internet port upstairs.)

I could not tell from your response.  Did you configure your RAX50 as a wired access point?  Did that resolve your issue with the access list?

Message 4 of 6
Jacob_of-Aus
Aspirant

@Kitsap 

Sorry for my misleading reply, your question prompted my memory, yes I had set it up as an Access point at the time and forgot about it this time I just did now and it looks as if has solved my problem

Many thanks for your help

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Jacob_of-Aus wrote:

@Kitsap 

Sorry for my misleading reply, your question prompted my memory, yes I had set it up as an Access point at the time and forgot about it this time I just did now and it looks as if has solved my problem

Many thanks for your help

Good to hear your issue has been resolved.  I think you will be happy with your new RAX50. 😊

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7