× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Had this with the RAXE450 and worked with ProSupport for hours on end, for days, with no luck

isaaccoo
Guide

Had this with the RAXE450 and worked with ProSupport for hours on end, for days, with no luck

I'm gonna piggy back off this thread, as I'm having similar issues.

Had this with the RAXE450 and worked with ProSupport for hours on end, for days, with no luck.

I eventually returned it and got the RAXE500, and here we are again.

Here's my situation (again):

Client Setup:

Dell XPS 9700 with Windows 11 (Network Adapter: Intel Killer Wireless AX1650s)

Initial ISP Setup (Wi-Fi):

Xfinity (ISP) -> Coax -> xFi Advanced Gateway (XB8) -> {Wi-Fi} -> Client

Speed Tests: 1425-1450 Mbps

Netgear Setup (Hardwired):

Xfinity (ISP) -> Coax -> CM2000 -> Cat8 -> RAXE500 -> Cat8 -> Client PC

Speed Tests: 1425-1475 Mbps

Netgear Setup (Wi-Fi):

Xfinity (ISP) -> Coax -> CM2000 -> Cat8 -> RAXE500 -> {Wi-Fi} -> Client PC

Speed Tests: 660-900 Mbps

Netgear Setup (Wi-Fi) with Netgear A7000 AC1900 USB3 Network Adapter:

Xfinity (ISP) -> Coax -> CM2000 -> Cat8 -> RAXE500 -> {Wi-Fi} ->  A7000 (via USB3.0) -> Client PC

Speed Tests: 450-625 Mbps

Other details:

• Client and networking equipment in same room
  • All tests were run with clear-line-of-sight at distances of 3, 6, and 9 feet.
  • All tests were run 10 times at each distance, and then averaged
  • All other devices taken offline, only Client connected.
  • Client is always using the 5Ghz band.
  • RAXE500 Firmware Version V1.0.10.86_2.0.40
  • RAXE500 configured to use the 2.5Gbs WAN port
  • Used desktop installation of OOKLA SpeedTest app for Windows and confirmed with Xfinity web-based speed test at 

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Had this with the RAXE450 and worked with ProSupport for hours on end, for days, with no luck

The RAX450/RAX500 are pretty much the same thing. Netgear is knowns for selling a "slightly" lower spec device to costco so they can sell it cheaper. But hardware wise, they're basically the same. See the R7960P and R8000P

One thing I ran into with my RAX200 was that it would occasionally have issues with 500+mbps speeds. I worked with engineering quite a bit on it and would only ever be told "it must be something with my setup".  I never did find a resolution with current firmware for it so pulled my RAX out of service for a different netgear router. Some of the older firmwares worked fine while the newer ones broke it. 

One thing to try though that i didn't see was to go XB8 modem/router---->RAXE (in access point mode).  

See what speeds that gives. With the 500-600mbps that you're getting, it makes me curious if the RAXE isn't doing some traffic inspection.

Also, check what your link speed is on the device you're testing. I'm curious what link speed its connecting at as actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of link speed. 

Message 2 of 13
isaaccoo
Guide

Re: Had this with the RAXE450 and worked with ProSupport for hours on end, for days, with no luck

You're right on the money about the Netgear tweaking the same routers to produce different variants - either one was optimized or the other was tuned down. My original move was to get a replacement for the RAXE450 but, Costo doesn't have anymore RAXE450 routers in stock, not do they have any shipments scheduled.

Unfortunately, I got hasty and dropped off the XB8,already. This is my last attempt at making a RAXE work, so I'll probab7y bag one this coming weekend.

Both of the adapters are running at 5Ghz band, and the link speeds are:

KIller AX1650s: 2402/2402 Mbps (throughput at 55-65% = 1321-1561 Mbps)

Netgear AC1900: 54/1300 Mbps (throughput at 55-65% = 715-845 Mbps) - I'm assuming the receive speed @54Mbps may be a bug.

I have QoS disabled, so not sure if any other traffic monitoring is going on. 

I see you have the same modem and router. What speeds are you getting on your RAXE500? 

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

My RAXE and RBKE get around that 1200mbps over 5ghz/6ghz, if I'm close enough/good link speeds. Definitely drops with distance/obstructions. 

Thats on 2x different devices running AX210 cards on windows 11. (lenovo yoga 6 and a custom ryzen 2700)

Makes me curious if its something related to the killer's setup as they have their own optimizations. 

Can you run that card off stock intel drivers or do you have to use killers?

Message 4 of 13
isaaccoo
Guide

I looked into this before with Dell Business ProSupport, and they had some valid points - like how am I getting over 1400 Mbps over the Xfinity router and my neighbor's TP-Link.

I ventured into upgrading the Wi-Fi card, just in case, and turns out that Dell casually soldered the Killer onto the motherboard.

With the RAXE500, I also bought the A7000, to try to take the Killer Wireless card out of the equation. Netgear Support team also recommended the A7000 to get the 1Gbps+ speeds. And as we can see, the A7000 was a bigger disaster. Both Netgear products, from the same Nighthawk line, but worse performance.

So, in theory, the lowest common denominator seems to be the RAXE500. I'm assuming its something in the settings, because so many others, like yourself, are able to hit much better speeds  - from further away.

What settings do have you applied on your RAXE500? Maybe I can replicate those similar settings (but in router mode) and fix this things. 

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

Nothing special on my raxe500. Stock 5ghz/6ghz settings. I move than channels around once in a while just to test but nothing impacts speeds a whole lot in my area. I have access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, armor/circle, etc all disabled. 

I'm surprised to that you're hitting 1500 on the xfi box. Reason why is comcasts standard 1.2gig speed is over provisioned to 1.4 gig, not 1.5gig. What actual speeds do you pay them for? 

And to get that speeds from your neighbors is a bit funky too. When I'm 1 room away from my router, it drops from that 1gig plus to 600-700mbps. 5/6ghz drops quickly in speed. 

Do you have a different device you can test ?

kind of ignoring the A7000. I've never been impressed with usb based devices and speeds are so variable on them. I've always just taken my laptop/devices apart to upgrade wireless cards. 

Also, I'd stick with the xfinity speedtest site. It used to be the ookla test was the best but I've found their servers to sometimes be unreliable. Especially if you're over 1 gig speeds. But even the xfinity one will struggle sometimes with me. I can hit 1 gig plus speeds on 1 test and then 5 minutes later be slower. That's even been applicable with hardwired tests in my area. 

NOT saying thats the issue. Just that things aren't as black/white when you're getting to those 1 gig plus speeds in my experience. 

Message 6 of 13
isaaccoo
Guide

I have the 1.2Ghz plan with Xfinity. Typically I've been hitting above 1.4 Gbps, but sometimes it spikes above 1.5 Gbps (doesn't last long but it hits), 

When my neighbor let me test it, I was in his apartment, in the same room as his router. If I hit those speeds from my apartment with his router down the hall, I would've tossed the RAXE500 under a freight truck lol.

You're right about the speed tests with Ookla. I do confirm with the Xfinity speed test to make sure they're not that far off.

The ProSupport L2 support folks can't figure it out either. I've also bee seeing more and more people posting similar performance issues with the RAXE450/RAXE500 units, recently.

Only thing I can think of is that Netgear may have started using alternative suppliers for their components for their hardware since the supply chains choked up. My neighbor works on automotive electrical panels and his company has had to pony up for inferior components since semiconductor supply chains have been choked up. So paying more for lower quality parts. Even AMD and other semis are screwed.

I can't think of anything else.. I have another follow-up call with another L2 support technician today. If they cant sort it out by now, I have to return this unit by the weekend and go with another manufacturer at this point. 

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

Not sure what to tell you with what you've went over. 

If you do go with another brand, I've had good luck with tp-link. I've heard good things about Asus too but never used them. 

Message 8 of 13
Razor512
Prodigy

Those speed issues are especially strange. With my RAXE500 as well as 3 Intel AX210 clients, all are able to achieve between 1.8Gbps and 2Gbps in terms of real world throughput.
Firmware: Firmware Version V1.0.10.86_2.0.40

wifi settings 2.pngWifi settings.pngadvanced wifi sertings.png

Though I have seen these settings perform poorly in homes near airports where the use of DFS channels will lead to poor performance near the heavy radar use near the airport.

Message 9 of 13
isaaccoo
Guide

I have those same settings on those pages. Had my wifi card replaced today, and so far hitting about 880 mbps, 6 feet away.

I'm like 20 miles from the airport, so shouldn't, that should be fine, no?

Had netgear ProSupport login to my PC with Zoho on Tuesday, without any resolve. Only thing I did notice is since they logged in, my Trade Armor reports of attacks went through the roof, so that's very alarming. (See attached).
Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

ever heard of netgear using zoho. Really makes me suspicious if you actually talked to netgear or a scam site. 

Message 11 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have sent you a PM @isaaccoo

DarrenM

Message 12 of 13
isaaccoo
Guide

Yeah, a bit paranoid to. But called the main number and they did confirm that's their method of remote connecting. Luckily, it was them... unfortunately, problem persists... 

I tested my laptop on my brother's Asus GT-AX11000 and the speeds were almost 50% more, without him taking anything offline either. Very confused.

The back and forth with support continues...

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7