× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Heat Handling RAX80

Adam_Toronto
Follower

Heat Handling RAX80

I am finding the RAX80 doesn't handle heat well, and performance is degraded if it is not particularly well ventilated.  I purchased a second version of the same model to be sure, and the issue remained.  I am getting good service now in my network at home, which includes the RAX80 router, along with the latest wifi 6 mesh extenders (not orbi), by placing a fan facing the router.  Perhaps this could be addressed in the next wifi 6 router model.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Heat Handling RAX80

@Christian_R several RAX customers have asked if there is a way to read the values of the internal temperature(s), the fan status, ... Few reports say the an is always on, but several users state the RAX, especially the RAX80, is running very warm. Wonder on how Netgear's support is checking these devices are running within specs if there is no (hidden) Web UI showing the details required?

@Adam_Toronto either way, these consumer devices are designed to be operated in an open space (not in an enclosure, box, ...) as per the Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router Model RAX80 User Manual 

Technical Specifications

Operating temperature 0° to 40°C (32º to 104ºF)
Operating humidity 90% maximum relative humidity, noncondensing

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7