× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help a dummy understand the built in VPN feature on my AX12 RAX120.

todd1010
Apprentice

Help a dummy understand the built in VPN feature on my AX12 RAX120.

I've got my router setup and has been running great for several months now. I'm considering using the built in VPN feature. I was going to try another brand but it appears its not one that works within the software feature of this router. 

I have a couple of questions:

1. I've tried Express VPN and I had to download and install their app/software on each and every device. Since this VPN feature is built in to the routher will I have to install a bunch of apps on all of my devices? Or since its built in to the router it will not require setup or apps on each device?

2. WIll this VPN service affect (slow things down) Xbox One gaming? Or would it be better to turn it off for that device?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Help a dummy understand the built in VPN feature on my AX12 RAX120.

Hi todd1010,

1. The following link should answer your first question as you will need to install the OpenVPN client/app. 

https://kb.netgear.com/29783/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Android-device

2. The VPN service should not hinder the performance of your connected devices. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7