× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help me chosse a home router.

BLASIRL
Aspirant

Help me chosse a home router.

I am new to choosing and installing routers.   I think I have chosen the correct community but let me know if i have not.   

I currently have an ATT Uverse Pace gateway model 5268ACFXN and in the not to distant future will be switching to a T-Mobile gateway using Wi-Fi 6 with 4 x 4 MIMO and it is compatible with 5G NR, 4G LTE networks.  I do not know the model yet.

I currently have about 20 items connected.  I am interested in having a network drive, good security, the ability to use both wired and wireless connections.  My house has a basement, first and second floors.  The total square footage of all three levels is  2300 sq ft.  (~214 sq meters).  If possible it would be nice to include my attached flat deck of 330 sq ft that is attached to the long side of the house.  

I am not a gamer, but my two daughters dabble.   We would like to be able to stream reliably to at least devices at once, but normally two at a time.

What other relevant information should I include to get the best answer here? 

Thanks for looking!

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help me chosse a home router.

Be aware that the modems you mentioned already have built in routers and wifi already. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

You can still connect another router to these using one of the below options.
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Based on size of you home, you might review router and what fits your needs here:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/

Message 2 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  I already understood that the gateways would need to have the wi-fi shut off in them.  As for the two links you gave me can you explain why I would look at a mesh router?  The other link has too many choices and that is what prompted me to come here asking for help in choosing.  The options given on that page do not narrow down my choices for me too much.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What size home do you have? Square Feet? 

What are you networking needs? Gaming, Streaming, General internet use? 

How many devices do you have? 

What kinds of devices do you have connected? 

Kind of based on what your needs are and size of home will direct you towards something. 

Message 4 of 16

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 5 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

Re: Help me choose a home router.

Still too many choices.  What additional filters should I apply and why?  This is basically the type of help I was hoping for.  I'd like to narrow my choices down to two or three so I can focus on what is important.  I have no issues paying for a little more than I need, but I am somewhat conservative with my money so I don't wish to overspend.  I completely understand that people come to any community with problems in the beginning as I am an Administrator on another forum.  Once I start learning more about my eventual system, I will more than likely be one to return to help others.  I know the value of a well run forum.

That said...

These are the choices given with the following filters selected: 2500sqft, 3000 sqft,, 20 devices, 25 devices selected

AX5400 WiFi Router (RAX50)

Nighthawk 6-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router, 5.4Gbps

AX4200 WiFi Router (RAX42)

Nighthawk 5-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router, 4.2Gbps

AX4300 WiFi Router (RAX45)

NETGEAR 6-Stream Dual-Band WiFi 6 Router, 4.3Gbps

AC2600 WiFi Router (R7800)

Nighthawk® X4S Dual-Band WiFi Router (up to 2.53Gbps) with MU-MIMO

AC2100 WiFi Router (R7200)

Nighthawk® Dual-Band WiFi Router (up to 2.1Gbps)

These are the choices I was given with the following filters:  Orbi,  3000sqft, 5000 sqft, and Tri Band selected.

Orbi™ 960 Series Quad-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps, 10 Gig Port, 3-Pack, Black Edition, 1-year NETGEAR Armor included

AXE11000 Mesh WiFi System (RBKE963)

Orbi™ 960 Series Quad-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps, 10 Gig Port, 3-Pack, 1-year NETGEAR Armor included

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK753)

Orbi 750 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 4.2Gbps, Router + 2 Satellites

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (CBK753)

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System with Built-in Cable Modem, 4.2Gbps, Modem Router Combo + 2 Satellites

BUNDLE Orbi 960 Series Quad-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps, Router + 3 Satellites – Black Edition

BUNDLE Orbi 960 Series Quad-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps, Router + 3 Satellites

BUNDLE Orbi 860 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, 10 Gig Port, 4-Pack (RBK864SB)

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK754)

Orbi 750 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 4.2Gbps, Router + 3 Satellites

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (RBK752)

Orbi 750 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 4.2Gbps, Router + 1 Satellite

5G WiFi Mesh System, AX4200 (NBK752)

Orbi 5G Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 4.2Gbps, Router + 1 Satellite

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (CBK752)

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System with Built-in Cable Modem, 4.2Gbps, Modem Router Combo + 1 Satellite

BUNDLE Orbi 760 Series Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 5.4Gbps, Router + 3 Satellites

AX5400 WiFi Mesh System (RBK763)

Orbi 760 Series Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 5.4Gbps, Router + 2 Satellites

BUNDLE Orbi 5G Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 4.2Gbps, Router + 2 Satellites
-
BUNDLE Orbi 960 Series Quad-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps, Router + 1 Satellites (RBKE962)

AC3000 Mesh WiFi System (RBK50)

Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi System, 3Gbps, Router + 1 Satellite 

AX4200 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CBR750)

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh Router with Built-in Cable Modem, 4.2Gbps

AX6000 WiFi Satellite (RBS860B)

Orbi 860 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh Add-on Satellite, 6Gbps, Black Edition

BUNDLE Orbi 860 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, 10 Gig Port, 4-Pack (RBK864S)

AX3000 WiFi Mesh System (RBK653)

Orbi 650 Series Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 3Gbps, Router + 2 Satellites 

AX6000 WiFi Satellite (RBS860)

Orbi 860 Series Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh Add-on Satellite, 6Gbps
AXE11000 Mesh WiFi System (RBKE963B)

Message 6 of 16

@BLASIRL wrote:

I already understood that the gateways would need to have the wi-fi shut off in them.

That does not do it. Turning off wifi does not disable the router bit of the modem/router.

@FURRYe38 has explained how you can go about the task in hand. The details there are general solutions and are a bit more complicated than they need be.

This might be more helpful:

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode? | AT&T Community Forums

I would check that out before much further. Do you understand it and can you get it to work on your modem/router?

Message 7 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

My first question was to help me choose a router.  I am nowhere near setting one up yet.  I do appreciate the information, but again, I do not have a router in hand yet.

Message 8 of 16

@BLASIRL wrote:

Still too many choices.  What additional filters should I apply and why? 

Only you know that.

I have no issues paying for a little more than I need, but I am somewhat conservative with my money so I don't wish to overspend. 

Wise person. My inclination would be to go for the cheapest device that you find there.

Oh, and look at the reviews on places like Amazon. The small and baffling differences between different models isn't worth losing sleep over.

Message 9 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

Just out of curiosity, have you read my initial question?

Message 10 of 16

@BLASIRL wrote:

My first question was to help me choose a router. 

Hard to do that if you don't know how to manage the rest of your network.

Choose new equipment based on what you can accommodate on your existing system.

Message 11 of 16

@BLASIRL wrote:

Just out of curiosity, have you read my initial question?

Several times. Badly framed questions are not amenable to detailed answers.

What are we to make of this?

in the not to distant future will be switching to a T-Mobile gateway using Wi-Fi 6 with 4 x 4 MIMO and it is compatible with 5G NR, 4G LTE networks. I do not know the model yet.

If you "do not know the model yet", what do you expect people to say?

Message 12 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

I have a gateway and that is it.  It is a chokepoint so I need to start by choosing a router.  I gave the particulars of my situation above.  That includes square footage, what is currently being run from my "network" and what I wish to add.  Do I know how to set it up yet, no.  Do I want to learn, yes, but I prefer to have the product in hand as I learn by doing more so that reading at first.

Do you have no suggestions to help me narrow my search based on what I have posted so far?

Message 13 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

Are you trolling me or something?

T-mobile has two gateways that they are handing out.    I am not sure which one I will receive and I posted the little information I could find on them.  If it makes no sense to you, skip those details.  It will be a gateway (modem/router).  I know I will need to redo the settings on either one of the gateways.  

Once I have chosen a router, it will initially be setup on the ATT gateway.  Once I switch to T-Mobile, I will reconfigure.

Now I need some help selecting a router based on the information I have posted before.   I also asked what additional information would be needed.

Does that clarify anything for you?

Message 14 of 16

There is nothing special in your list of requirements. Just about anything you find on the product pages would work.

But if you are using something that connects to a mobile phone network, the modem bit is where it all starts.

Most ISPs work behind cable, DSL or optical networks. Routers are designed to work with them. Cellular devices are less common and have different issues.

For advice on devices that are compatible with cellular modems, you need to know what the modem will do so that you can see if you can configure it with a separate router.

This is not a trivial task which is why there is a separate section here for "mobile hotspots" and why there is a steady trickle of questions from people who want to know how to get a router to play nicely with a mobile hot-spot/modem.

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

You might like to eavesdrop on that section to see the sort of issues that you may encounter.

Not knowing what the front end will be makes it difficult to be specific. If you had said that you had a cable modem, the task would have been much easier.

Oh, and ATT, and its hardware, is famously difficult to work with.

Ask them for advice.

Message 15 of 16
BLASIRL
Aspirant

I have posted this reply 3 times before and it never stays for some reason.

What size home do you have? Square Feet? 

My house has a basement (840sqft), first (840sqft) and second (620sqft) floors.  The total square footage of all three levels is  2300 sq ft.  (~214 sq meters).  If possible it would be nice to include my attached flat deck of 330 sq ft that is attached to the long side of the house.  

What are you networking needs? Gaming, Streaming, General internet use? 

I am interested in having a network drive, good security, the ability to use both wired and wireless connections.  

I am not a gamer, but my two daughters dabble.   We would like to be able to stream reliably to at least four devices at once, but normally two at a time.

How many devices do you have? 

I currently have about 20 items connected. Would like a bit more room for future though.

What kinds of devices do you have connected? 

Four TV's-one 4K, four laptops-three windows, one mac, three tablets, thermostat,  and am currently adding six cameras.  Later I want to add a network media server.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7