× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help router keeps loosing connection, slow speed, stop giving access to internet.

Th3-0n3
Tutor

Help router keeps loosing connection, slow speed, stop giving access to internet.

Ok so I have a Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120 ever since I updated to the most recent version that is V1.0.1.122. After the update I decded to do a factory reset on the router.

I started to have this problems where my devices say they are connected to the wifi but I cant acces the internet at all. I went to the router login page and saw that the internet status is good but not internet acces on the 5gz band the 2.4gz band or even my computer that is connected to the ethernet port. No to mention the speeds have started to be really slow I have a 1gig down. I usualy get 900 mbps on my pcp connected to the router with a cable. now theres times where im getting 70 mpbs or less. I have done the speed test on the router app to see how much the router is getting and it says that it gets around 940mbps. Than wiifi speed is usually realy good bu when i notice that my pc get this slow speed wifi speed alos goes super slow. 

Then some times I get this weird problem where my computer says its connected but I cant acces internet but i'm able to upload things. For example two days ago I was doing a livestream to twitch. the stream was fine for every one watching. I could not acces the internet on the pc but the computer was still streaming to twitch. I could not load any web page but when I check my stream on my phone using my cellular data it was still going. 

Now today so far I had to reboot my router because it wasnt letting anything used internet in the house. No matter if they were connected by a cable to the router of wifi. Yesturday had to do two reboots to fixes this problem.

Its driving me crazy because things keep loosing internet. 

does any body know how to fix ths is there somethiing. Anything  can do fix this or is it the update that is casuing this problem?

Should downgrading to a previous version fix this. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Th3-0n3
Tutor

Re: Help router keeps loosing connection, slow speed, stop giving access to internet.

Its been 3 reboots today.  Any body know how to fix this

Message 2 of 14
RajaDaja
Luminary

I hear you!

Look, it happens to me also, but not as frequently,  maybe a couple times a week. Hopefully the kinks will get worked out through firmware updates. But your case..........2-3 times a day, warranty? Call support get them to troubleshoot , maybe they will replace. Good luck!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 14
Joi007
Tutor

It sounds like you are having a loss of routing issue. The connection seems to be there, but it isn't routing? Hence, your not going anywhere.

I have the exact router and firmware you have.  I had a similar issue, I swapped out modems from the Spectrum supplied modem to a Netgear CM600 and it seemed to solve the issue at least in "my case." Your milage may vary.  If you do decide to change modems I recommend a Netgear CM, but be sure to select one that does NOT have the PUMA 6 or 7 chipset in it.

http://www.badmodems.com 

Other things you could try if you don't want to go the modem route no pun intended, is to change your DNS servers to googles. 

Message 4 of 14
Th3-0n3
Tutor

yes its been really bad this last three days but today its been worse. after taking this last update this happen. I will contact them I bought it on december 20 or by them it should be in warranty i guess.

@RajaDaja wrote:

I hear you!

Look, it happens to me also, but not as frequently,  maybe a couple times a week. Hopefully the kinks will get worked out through firmware updates. But your case..........2-3 times a day, warranty? Call support get them to troubleshoot , maybe they will replace. Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
Th3-0n3
Tutor

@Joi007 wrote:

It sounds like you are having a loss of routing issue. The connection seems to be there, but it isn't routing? Hence, your not going anywhere.

I have the exact router and firmware you have.  I had a similar issue, I swapped out modems from the Spectrum supplied modem to a Netgear CM600 and it seemed to solve the issue at least in "my case." Your milage may vary.  If you do decide to change modems I recommend a Netgear CM, but be sure to select one that does NOT have the PUMA 6 or 7 chipset in it.

http://www.badmodems.com 

Other things you could try if you don't want to go the modem route no pun intended, is to change your DNS servers to googles. 

Thanks but its weird three days ago I updated to this and it started to happen but today was worse than aslo speed gets slower tham this happens. Also I think my modem is Netgear - Nighthawk 32x8 Docsis 3.1 cable modem a CM1200-100NAS. 

Message 6 of 14
DarkHoplite
Tutor

The latest update has definately resulted in connection issues, for me I have to reboot the ax120 at least every 2 days.

Message 7 of 14
Joi007
Tutor

I have mine configured using Smart Connect for WiFi perhaps that may help?  My RAX120 also would lose routing it when I first got it, but after I swapped the modem to the CM600 it stopped? Perhaps it was me reconfiguring the router to the new modem which cleared something? Or perhaps it just might had been a coincidence? 

My best advice would be to just reset the modem and reinstall the firmware update. Perhaps that may clear it for you. Strange my RAX120 would also lose its routing, but now it has been running flawlessly. Best router I've ever had? Strange.

Firmware VersionV1.0.1.122
Message 8 of 14
Joi007
Tutor

Rules out the modem its aNetgear so Netgear to Netgear should play nice.

Message 9 of 14
DarkHoplite
Tutor

Thanks, I will deifnetly do a clean re-install. I do know its not just the wifi that loses internet but from the lan port as well.

I will do a re-install later tonight and get back with a result in a few days time.

thanks again!

Message 10 of 14
Joi007
Tutor

@DarkHoplite 

Please do.

I keep track of it using The Journal 8.

REBOOTED ROUTER Intentionally for the upgrade speed provision 400 MBs d/l 20 MBs up @ 11:30 am May 15, 2020

Message 11 of 14
DarkHoplite
Tutor

Forgive me but was is Journal 8

Message 12 of 14
Th3-0n3
Tutor

@DarkHoplite wrote:

Thanks, I will deifnetly do a clean re-install. I do know its not just the wifi that loses internet but from the lan port as well.

I will do a re-install later tonight and get back with a result in a few days time.

thanks again!

This is exatcly the problem im having will do that too. It got worse yesturday. if this doesnt fix it ill donwgrade to the previous version and see if it works better on there.

Message 13 of 14
Joi007
Tutor

@DarkHoplite 

>Forgive me but was is Journal 8

http://www.davidrm.com/tjdownload/ 

Just journaling software.  That way I can easlily track what I do with the Router and what the router does.

This was entered there:  This is the last time I rebooted the router, since I reprovisioned / upgraded to 400/20 from 200d/l 12 u/l and changed modem to CM600 no more loss of routing. Must had been a coencidendce.? The router is new for me I just got it in May.

Here is full log:

REBOOTED Nighthawk router at 11:00 a.m. lost “routing” May 7

REBOOTED Nighthawk router at 12:50 a.m. lost “routing” May 13

REBOOTED Nighthawk router intentionally for the upgrade speed provision 400 MBs d/l 20 MBs up @ 11:30 am May 15, 2020

After this I upgraded modem to CM600 since I was using a Spectrum CM to see if it would solve the routing issue and also while I was at it I upgraded speed.  All that was done on May 15. NO more loss of routing. No reboot since May 15 per journal entry.   Since May 15th it has functioned flawlessly???

I doubt it was the modem but other than the modem and line upgrade no other changes made? So what fixed it I don't know?  The loss of routing just disappered right after that? 

Netgerar RAX120 router.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7