× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Horrible 2.4GHz Speed

aspiller98
Guide

Horrible 2.4GHz Speed

I just exchanged my Google wifi at best buy for this new netgear RAX120. Unfortunately I can't exchange again or get a refund... I am stuck with this router that is worse. When using 2.4 within 10 feet of the router, it's perfect, I get full link speed on my GS10. Going in another room I get a good signal, but I lose internet connection and/or get extremely slow link speeds. I've done literally everything... turned on/off all possible wifi settings and security, downgraded firmware versions, turned off ax, beam forming, you name it. Nothing. Factory reset included. I'm ready to pitch this router in the trash... this issue also happens on any and every device that I connect to 2.4GHz.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
aspiller98
Guide

Re: Horrible 2.4GHz Speed

Yes I found the issue. If you plug anything into the usb ports on the router it kills 2.4g. I unplugged my hdd from it and it instantly fixed it

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you currently on?
What modem are you connected to?
You put that you returned a google wifi to best buy for this, was there an issue?
What is your home materials as this impacts wifi performance?
Is there a lot of interference in your area over wifi? You can do a wireless channel scan using free tools for pcs or phones.
If the issue is with all the devices on 2.4ghz, what worked before the RAX120?
Are you using wpa2 or wpa3?
Message 2 of 13
aspiller98
Guide

I returned the google Wi-Fi system due to the poor GUI that was only accessible by a phone. 

I am on firmware 1.0.1.108 (latest)

My modem is a netgear m1100 with IP Passthrough enabled. That is not the issue.

The last device that worked well with 2.4G was the google wi-fi and my previous netgear R7200v2.

I am using WPA2

There is virtually no wi-fi interference at all. My arlo base is on a different channel than my wi-fi router on 2.4G. 

Like I said before, all devices have this issue, my house material isn't the problem either. 

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

When did you get it? 

You know that you have 90 days of free support through netgear as well as a 1 year (some locations more than a year) warrant?

maybe you got one with a defective wifi card.

to contact support (don't google the #) go to the top and click on mynetgear.  register an account and then the device. From there you can contact support. If you're within your 90 days of free support, you could use that, or you could potentially start an rma process.

House materials do make a difference. something simple like hvac in the wall can block an incredible amount of broadcasting. Sometimes moving a router a little bit makes a significant difference. 

Does the 5ghz work fine?

Message 4 of 13
aspiller98
Guide

I got it two weeks ago. Yes, 5G works fine. When using 2.4G and looking right at my router with line-of-sight from 30 ft away it drops to unusable link speeds or doesn't work at all. I also noticed that I drop like 20-30% of packets as well when it does it.
Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

I would open a support case since it's only 2 weeks old.
Message 6 of 13
welchyboy
Star

Did you have any luck? I have the same issue? I have terrible wifi speeds on my rax120. A speed test straight from the router is good but wifi it is crawling.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 13
aspiller98
Guide

Yes I found the issue. If you plug anything into the usb ports on the router it kills 2.4g. I unplugged my hdd from it and it instantly fixed it
Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

Good (but bad) to know. I'll have to let others know with that issue on that router. 

Message 9 of 13
welchyboy
Star

Huh good to know. I am getting all around terrible wifi speeds. I don't have anything plugged into the usb ports but the speed test from the app shows spot on. Even on a hard wired connection. However my wifi devices are super slow. 

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

@welchyboy wrote:

Huh good to know. I am getting all around terrible wifi speeds. I don't have anything plugged into the usb ports but the speed test from the app shows spot on. Even on a hard wired connection. However my wifi devices are super slow. 

@welchyboy I would open up a thread of your own. Many things can cause issues on wifi speeds. We can better assist you with your own thread. 

@aspiller98 if you mark the "remove usb device" response as solved, it brings it to the top so others can see what you did to fix the issue without having to read through the whole thread. Good work btw!

Message 11 of 13
welchyboy
Star

Thanks @plemans ill do that.

Message 12 of 13
aspiller98
Guide

Thanks, will do!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors