× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Horrible download speeds over ethernet- Nighthawk RAXE500

Mask0mimi
Aspirant

Horrible download speeds over ethernet- Nighthawk RAXE500

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing really poor download speeds over Ethernet.

Every single speed test website shows a drastic drop in my download speeds with the exception of Speedtest.net

I can visibly see this poor connection when streaming anything over Disney+

Troubleshooting steps I have tried:

- Confirmed I am on the latest firmware available (Firmware Version V1.0.10.86_2.0.40)

- Ensure QoS is disabled

- Changed the channels for the 5ghz streams (no change)

- Tried different ports in the router and my PC (no change)

For reference I have attached what my speeds look like when connected directly to the wall jack vs. when I am connected to the router. There's a HUGE difference. 

2023-05-30 12_37_36-ConnectedtoWallJackDirectly-SpeedTest.png ‎- Photos.png

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Latest FW is here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAXE500-New-Firmware-1-0-12-96-release...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. If your using the multi gig port for the connection to the modem, CAT6A STP is recommended.

Be sure to try Ooklas installable speed test app on a ethernet connected PC.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 5
Mask0mimi
Aspirant

Hey Guru, thanks for the quick response.

There is no modem in between the router and the wall-jack which serves as my ISP's source of internet. Again, when connected to the wall-jack, I get the full speed

I have already tried two separate cables i.e. Cat6 and Cat7 with no luck. 

I am using a Desktop PC which is connected via Ethernet and am able to reproduce the issue consistently. 

I have already tried upgrading to another firmware provided by NetGear's team and have also powercycled to no avail. 
I have also erased the router and re-onboarded it as per Nighthawk's instructions and again have not seen much difference.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What does the WAN port speed show on the routers web page for Show Stats button on the Advanced Tab? 

Message 4 of 5

@Mask0mimi wrote:

There is no modem in between the router and the wall-jack which serves as my ISP's source of internet.

Unless something like an optical network termination (ONT) sits behind that jack, it can be a sign of a "campus" network which delivers an ethernet connection from a central hub that does the router stuff. That sort of setup crops up here from time to time and isn't easy to diagnose. It isn't the sort of thing that consumer routers can handle easily

But as the thing has worked well until recently this may be  nonsense theory. One way to test it might be to see if the router will work in AP mode.

Which ISP is this? Does it offer any clues as to how to configure routers at your end?

The puzzle is that things have changed after working as expected.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7