× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I assign multiple IP addresses to a devices single MAC address?

n8_
Follower
Follower

How do I assign multiple IP addresses to a devices single MAC address?

Model: CAX80

tl;dr – Will the CAX80 IP Filter or MAC Filter against the DHCP static/dynamic address table? If so, can I overload a MAC address with multiple IPs?

I am about to buy the CAX80 but need to know if one of the following will work first:

I have a network device with 1 network interface (1 MAC). This device has 3 network interface aliases, each with its own address (all in the same subnet). So that's 4 addresses in total. For the sake of clarity, lets say the primary interface 10.0.0.40/24, and the aliases are 10.0.0.41 - 43

My currect solution(Xfinity gateway junk) will only accept 1 IP address reservation per MAC Address and will only forward WIFI traffic for addresses it has either dynamically assigned, or reserved. So it drops all packets to from the alias interfaces.

Does the CAX80 require to have all addresses reserved, and if so can I reserve all 4 addresses on the CAX80 for the same MAC address and then manually assign them on the network device?

If not, will it work if I reserve only the one IP address and MAC? Whereby the CAX80 will forward traffic for the other three IP addresses so long as the MAC address is reserved? Or will it IP filter the non-registered IP address?

Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7