× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to set port speed on Nighthawk AX8?

Steveborough
Tutor

How to set port speed on Nighthawk AX8?

I have a connected thermostat device that works for 1 minute while connected (wired) to this router. The manufacturer advised to switch the router port from Auto to 100Mb, which the device uses. I dont see this option in the mgmt ui of this router. Been in IT for 30 years and have never seen a router without that option! Any help is appreciated! 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

@Steveborough wrote:

The manufacturer advised to switch the router port from Auto to 100Mb, which the device uses.

Why? Are you having problems with the device?

Sounds like the manufacturer does not understand this stuff.

Your router will negotiate a speed with the LAN stuff connected. It isn't something you set in the router.

If it barfs after a minute, I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

Have you tried different LAN ports for this device? The RAX80 does tricksy stuff.

Message 2 of 3
Steveborough
Tutor

Its faily common to have to set port speed and turn off auto for certain devices, that is why the option exists (at least on every other router ive ever seen). Some hardware does not work well with some auto-sensing ports. Its a common practice when setting up older devices and some modems. 

Connected to every other ports and still the same thing, I put a small wireless repeater with an ethernet port in between the thermostat and the ax8 and it works again. But this is not ideal, as the repeater causes wifi congestion, wifi speeds drop to 30Mbps while its on, (I have 1Gig internet)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7