× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set the RAX45 as a wireless repeater?

NickEs
Aspirant

How to set the RAX45 as a wireless repeater?

Hi, all. I have a new tri-band router as my main router (necessary because of MoCA), but the WiFi is not as strong as I'd like it to be -- so I'd like to set up my previous RAX45 as a repeater.

I've seen the directions at https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-enable-the-extender-mode-feature-on-my-Nighthawk-router, but I think the directions show how to use the RAX45 as the main router and another router as the repeater (am I wrong?). I need to go in the other direction.

Can someone possibly help me out? Or correct me if I'm wrong about those directions?

Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: How to set the RAX45 as a wireless repeater?

Repeater mode is not supported by stock firmware.
Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

What actual router do you have? 

Why not look into just using an extender instead of trying to make a router work?

Message 3 of 7
Kitsap
Master

If you have the option to run an Ethernet cable between your new router and the RAX45, then configure the RAX45 as an access point.

Message 4 of 7
NickEs
Aspirant

Yes, that was my backup plan.  Here's what I've done:

1. Went into my Verizon router, and assigned the Nighthawk a static IP of 192.168.1.222 (via the MAC address).

2. Disconnected the Verizon router from the PC.

3. Connected the Nighthawk to the PC (using a Nighthawk LAN port, not the WAN)

4.  Logged into the Nighthawk at 192.168.1.1.

5. Changed the SSIDs.

6. Under "LAN Setup," turned off dhcp.

7.  Changed the router mode to "AP." While it was rebooting:

8.  Disconnected the PC end of the cable and moved it to the Verizon LAN.   The Verizon and Nighthawk are now connected, LAN to LAN.

It SEEMS to work.  We'll see if it helps/

Message 5 of 7

@Kitsap wrote:

If you have the option to run an Ethernet cable between your new router and the RAX45, then configure the RAX45 as an access point.

For future reference, if it is not practical to run Ethernet cables around the place, or the family hates the idea, I have used Powerline Ethernet to run routers in AP mode.

Message 6 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@NickEs wrote:

Yes, that was my backup plan.  Here's what I've done:

1. Went into my Verizon router, and assigned the Nighthawk a static IP of 192.168.1.222 (via the MAC address).

2. Disconnected the Verizon router from the PC.

3. Connected the Nighthawk to the PC (using a Nighthawk LAN port, not the WAN)

4.  Logged into the Nighthawk at 192.168.1.1.

5. Changed the SSIDs.

6. Under "LAN Setup," turned off dhcp.

7.  Changed the router mode to "AP." While it was rebooting:

8.  Disconnected the PC end of the cable and moved it to the Verizon LAN.   The Verizon and Nighthawk are now connected, LAN to LAN.

It SEEMS to work.  We'll see if it helps/

Very good!  A couple of notes about your configuration.  When you configure a router as an access point, the DHCP function is automatically disabled.  The DHCP function for your LAN is now handled by your upstream router.

For the input to your access point, the WAN connection will work just fine.  On your access point, your LAN connections are fully functional Ethernet ports if needed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7