× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPv6 6to4 tunnel option broken? RAXE500

cybot
Luminary

IPv6 6to4 tunnel option broken? RAXE500

RAXE500 firmware V1.0.10.86_2.0.40

I am having trouble getting my IPv6 tunnel to work with my new RAXE500. the settings are all entered correctly, and when i use the 'ping -6 ipv6.google.com' command the command is able to retrieve the ipv6 address for ipv6.google.com, but both the server and client tunnel endpoints for the tunnel are timing out. I have even tried using anpth tunnel service, but the same issue occurs. test-ipv6.com gives the following results:

Test with IPv4 DNS record 
ok (0.213s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record 
timeout (15.014s)
Test with Dual Stack DNS record 
ok (0.615s) using ipv4
Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet 
ok (0.538s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 large packet 
timeout (15.019s)
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6 
ok (0.564s) using ipv4
Find IPv4 Service Provider 
ok (0.644s) using ipv4 ASN 14051
Find IPv6 Service Provider 
timeout (15.011s)

cybot_0-1668141188448.png

I am not sure how to proceed next or what trouble shooting to perform next all i know, is the ipv6 traffic is going into the router, but it does not seem to be leaving it. The tunnel used to work, but has not worked with the new router.

AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500) 

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you capture DEBUG logs, enable both debug and WAN to LAN captures before setting up the configuration, the after the configuration is setup, run your tests to check the configuration, then after save off the logs. 

Message 2 of 21
cybot
Luminary

trying to access the router debug page (192.168.1.1/debug) results in a page from the router 

404 Not Found

The resource you have requested is not available.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You need 192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Message 4 of 21
cybot
Luminary

ahh... ok.  that was why it wasn't working then.

I seem to have a bigger problem. I told the router to reboot using the interface, and it seemed to reboot, but it was immediately apparent that something had gone south. all my devices (PC, Android, Roku, Nintendo, etc.) were no longer able to reconnect to the network once it was back up. the devices (windows included) would connect but then drop the connection. I was connected for a few second long enough to   discover that the router had stopped handing out ANY ipv4 setting at all. several power button cycles did not fix the issue. indeed, they seemed only exacerbate the problem. the router was no longer letting me log in, with windows and android there were authentication issues. I know for a fact that i was entering the right password each time. issue only seemed to get better once i disconnected the internet cable from the router and then did a power cycle. even then things did not immediately go back to normal. i had to wait 30 minutes and before the router finally let me logon to the network. after wards i plugged the internet cable back in, and the router picked up the settings passed by the modem. I am now able to get back into the network, and the admin pages. But I am most certainly NOT a happy camper at the moment. this is a brand new router, I expect it to at least function like it's supposed to for at least a little while.

Message 5 of 21
cybot
Luminary

here is the first set of debug files. hopefully they are the one you need. I will wait till i hear back to see if they are or not before i create the next set of logs using non configured router.

oops... looks like the files won't upload to forum because they are much larger than the limit allows.

I will upload them to my Onedrive and post the link

Message 6 of 21
cybot
Luminary

here is the link to the files. I zipped them up into a zip file to make them easier to transfer. I used windows built in zip handling facilities, so anyone with windows should be able to open them.

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks I'll pass this on to NG for review. 

For reference, what is the Brand and model# if your ISP modem/ONT and who is your ISP? 

Message 8 of 21
cybot
Luminary

modem is a nexuslink 5630u. ISP is Consolidated Communications of Roseville, CA

looks like the issues i have been having (non ipv6 related issues) can all be traced back to my use of the readyshare feature of the router. I am not sure why or how all those issues could be caused just by hooking up an external HDD. it's not like I am trying to something weird or unusual. I am trying to use the router and the readyshare as intended. Unless there is some sort of issue that is firmware based, I am at a loss. The drive IS accessible via the network, so why it's casing these sort of issues is weird to me. when the drive is unplugged from the USB port, issues (non-ipv6 related) disappear.

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So IPv6 6To4 Tunnel works if you disconnect the USB Drive? Please explain more...

Message 10 of 21
cybot
Luminary

No, the IPv6 issues are not solved by unplugging the drive from the routers USB port. but ALL of the other issues seeming to at least partly stem from router DNS related issues ARE. the IPv6 tunnel issue is not connected with the other issues i have been having.

Message 11 of 21
cybot
Luminary

i have separated out the two issues to reduce confusion

link to the other issue is here : RAXE500 using readyshare cause router to malfuncti... (netgear.com)

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So with no USB and ReadyShare being enabled, IPv6 6To4 problem is still happening? 

Message 13 of 21
cybot
Luminary

that is correct

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just making sure. Lets keep these two issues separate. 😉

Message 15 of 21
cybot
Luminary

indeed. The fact that i am having so many issues with a brand-new router makes me wonder if i am one of the unfortunate people to pick up a router that was bad out of the box. I am still well within the 90 days of free support, so I am wondering if I should try to start an RMA. I would prefer to do that over returning the router to where i bought it from (amazon.com)

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would and would at least let NG know what your seeing in regards to IPv6 AND the HDD Readyshare issue. 

Message 17 of 21
cybot
Luminary

Oksy, I think i have found an answer, for this issue at least with (probably) all netgear routers which seems to have issues with the 6to4 tunnels. hurricane electric is a 6in4 tunnel provider which is a subset of 6to4, and is now for what ever reason considered outdated. for whatever reason the netgear routers no no longer accept 6in4 traffic using the 6to4 ipv6 settings page. However, All is not lost. Hurricane Electric, who i use for my IPv6 Tunnel has started to support 6RD IPv6 tunnels. the setup is a little different but is supported on most netgear routers. I for one would have had no way of even beginning to know how to set it up had i not stumbled across this blog page (link below) with detailed instructions on how to use a Hurricane Electric tunnel with 6rd.  once i followed the easy to use instructions, test.ipv6.com came back with 10/10 results. previously it was 0/10 (obviously) and when the tunnel was working previously the results were 7/10. so using 6rd is an actual improvement over using 6in4 over 6to4. 

Link : Using Netgear R7800 with Hurricane Electric 6in4 Tunnel – The Sarth Repository (yimingliu.com)

Message 18 of 21
cybot
Luminary

as a last step i tried browsing to ipv6.test-ipv6.com, which actually showed i had an MTU issue. I had left the MTU setting in the IPv6/6rd settings page at default which was 1480. I changed it to 1500 and the warning on the page went away.

Message 19 of 21
cybot
Luminary

Fixing the ipv6 tunnel settings seems to have solved ALL my issues. not sure why incorrect ipv6 settings caused the router to act so flaky though. I do have one oddity to report however. the other day some of my devices (or the apps on the devices) started reporting a lack of internet connection, despite strong evidence to the contrary. today I went into the router's advanced settings only to fond that the IPv6 settings had reverted back from 6RD to 6to4. i switched the setting back, and strangely enough, the settings i had used for 6RD, were still entered. once i switched the settings back to 6RD, and the ipv6 LAN settings back to Auto Config, IPv6 started worki. ng again. the device and apps stopped reporting lack of internet connection as well.

On another front, Verizon is putting up some new towers and I have reserved one of ten available slots for their home internet service. It will mean that I will need to switch the RAXE500 to bridge mode, but that is something that is probably minor. we will probably sign up for the trial to try the service. at around $5 for around 300Mbps speed and no throttling or data caps, it is too good of an offer to pass up, especially since the service we are currently live does not plan to extend their 2Gbps fiber service to where we live. Only issue is, since my current ISP no longer offers the service plan we are using, if we find the Verizon service unacceptable and decide to switch back, we won't be able to as the 'low speed broadband' plans are no longer offered.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

So what did you do exactly to fix the IPv6 6to4 Tunnel problem? 

Be aware that there is new FW available for the 500:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/New-Firmware-for-RAXE500-1-0-11-94...

@cybot wrote:

Fixing the ipv6 tunnel settings seems to have solved ALL my issues. not sure why incorrect ipv6 settings caused the router to act so flaky though.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7