× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Install issues A6000 Cable Modem Router CAX80 won't connect via Ethernet cable or WiFi

jwollet
Initiate

Install issues A6000 Cable Modem Router CAX80 won't connect via Ethernet cable or WiFi

Newly-purchased A6000 Cable Modem Router CAX 80 won't install via the Nighthawk app on iPhone X, a hard-wired Cat 5 cable from my Dell Win10 laptop, or via WiFi on laptop. BTW, laptop was purchased in mid-2021 and has full WiFi 6 support. 

ISP (Wowway) is able to activate the modem and says the signal is strong. Upstream, downstream, and online LEDs all light up (white). Still, install fails. After hours of rebooting modem router and laptop, resetting modem, disconnecting and reconnecting coax and power, no progress.

Disconnected Netgear modem router and reconnected Wow-supplied old Arris modem router. Wow reactivated old modem and service was fully restored. 

Bought Nighthawk modem router so I no longer have to rent from Wow and for stronger WiFi coverage in my house. This is the second Netgear unit in three days (exchanged first one) and still having the same results. 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Install issues A6000 Cable Modem Router CAX80 won't connect via Ethernet cable or WiFi

Have you tried contacting support? 
Support is free for the first 90 days of purchase. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 2 of 4
jwollet
Initiate

Re: Install issues A6000 Cable Modem Router CAX80 won't connect via Ethernet cable or WiFi

I should also mention I spent hours on the phone with Netgear tech support and Wow tech support. Wow was the most helpful, as they confirmed the connection to the modem router was good and strong. Netgear's tech support recommended I exchange the first unit via the retailer, which I did. The second unit manifested the same symptoms, leading me to believe there's something going on with settings that I cannot change since the unit won't connect. It seems unlikely that two out of two units would arrive DOA.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Very unlikely that both units would be doa.

When wow had it connected and provisioned, what did the event logs show and the cable connections page? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7