× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet slow-down after two weeks

Grandeursoul
Aspirant

Internet slow-down after two weeks

Model Version - Nighthawk AX8 WIFI 6 (or RAX80, quite unsure as to whether it would differ in name)

Firmware Version - V1.0.1.58_1.0.24 (current most up-to-date)

Enviroment - 10-15 devices/computers at most, not all connected to 2.4, would say 35% of the devices are connected to the 5ghz.

I had recieved my router two weeks ago, at the time I was getting 170mbps - 180mbps. Suddenly after two weeks it had plummeted darastically. I had ran several speed test, from xfinity, Ookla, and the Netgear Router page speed test (which is still Ookla). For each test I would hit 6-16 mbps, ping being 8-13ms, and the upload being 10-16mbps. I have searched throughout the posts to see if there would be a solution, sadly, to no avail was there a solution to my problem, at-least from what I had tried. I tried the following -

Firmware rollbacks to - V1.0.1.40_1.0.22      and        V1.0.1.36_1.0.20

QoS Activiation and deactiviation, several times in current firmware and previous firmwares that I had rolled back to.

Tried several Reboots, have not tried a, "revert to factory default settings" unsure if I have? Reason for that is because I have held down the reboot button on the Router for 30 seconds, it did reset some things, not sure if it was the factory reset itself?

Finally, I have tried wired connection, no real differnce is made. My internet service provider is comcast, and as I have stated before I am unsure as to what else to do. It seems all devices suffer regardless of where they are located, you can be next to the router, near the router, at the same floor of the router, the problem would still arise. I have heard of some talk of UPnP and IPv6 or something of it being the problem. I am quite unsure really, the settings of the router are all set to default anyways, I am not as tech savy when it comes to routers, switches, and modems, though I am sure that someone may-be experiecing the same issues as I am. Hopefully a solution may come to fruition, thank you if you are taking the time to read this.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
SAM_the_GAM
Luminary

Re: Internet slow-down after two weeks

I have discovered on my RAX80 with GIG internet through Spectrum on 1.0.1.56 and 1.0.1.58 I would get half of the speed I am supposed to on download via wireless 5G / wired. The remedy to this problem is to reboot the router sometimes have to do it 2-3 times in a row to regain full speeds. The internet speed slow down usually happens whenever the router decides to reboot itself happens more with 1.0.1.58 then 1.0.1.56. I am running 1.0.1.56 as 1.0.1.58 has difficulty maintaining connections. 

Make sure you have no access controls set up. I found if I wanted to block new devices from connecting it would instantly slow down my speed. The only way to recover is to toggle QOS or the other remedy is to reset the router to defaults by erasing all settings in the GUI and set up as new and do not activate any access controls. 

I have not tried 1.0.1.40 yet but supposedly this is the more stable version. 1.0.1.56 has been stable for me for the most part. While with 1.0.1.58 it seems I get faster speeds over wireless 5G. 

Message 2 of 4
Grandeursoul
Aspirant

I tried the options you gave me, changing firmware to 1.0.1.56, rebooting the router 3 times, ensuring that I have no access controls set up, erasing the settings in the GUI and not activating any access controls. Sadly, no progression was made, it would still go down to 10mbps or lower. It is quite odd, at first it had reached 170mbps for about 5 seconds after the first restart. After that, no matter the restart it would not go back up to 170mpbs. I have never experienced any network cutoffs during the two weeks of owning this device, and still have not. After every 5-15 minutes I have noticed from several speed test, the speed will go from 5mbps to 170mbps and remain at that high note for 5-10seconds. After that it just plummets, both 2.4 and 5g remain at a low point. Again, I have heard of people saying that their routers would disconnect or reboot, but I have never had that happen to me, the speeds just remain at a low. Quite the problem that I cannot find a solution to.

Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Grandeursoul - We recommend contacting our support team for assistance to utilize the complimentary support included with your router.

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7