× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the RAX 50 Router compatible with COX Cable's Gigablast

Joelbronx
Tutor

Is the RAX 50 Router compatible with COX Cable's Gigablast

I am assuming my RAX50 Router will work with the Gigablast speeds offered by COX cable.  I have already confirmed that my Cable modem is.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Is the RAX 50 Router compatible with COX Cable's Gigablast

Compatible with which part? 

Will it hit wired gigabit speeds?  Sure.

Will it hit wireless gigabit speeds? potentially but usually the bottleneck isn't the router but the device, the distance, and interference.

I'd recommend a look at a few AX routers tested for reasonable expectations of wireless AX speeds. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33220-wi-fi-6-performance-roundup-five-rou...

Message 2 of 6
Joelbronx
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

Not sure if I undrstand from your reply if the RAX50 (BTW, Netgear does not even list the RAX50 in their list of Routers??) will work I know COX told me AC1900 and higher which I know the RAX50 is pretty much state of the art regarding WiFi schemes.  Both my Netgear Cable Modem and Router per COX will work with Gigablast.  She told me the speeds are 1000 down and 1000 up

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
Razor512
Prodigy

The RAX50 will offer a full gigfabit up and down over the WAN port with no problem, as for the WiFi, using an ax adapter such as the Intel AX200, it will hit around 1500-1600Mbps  real world throughput on a 2400Mbps PHY rate connection. PS when testing 802.11ax performance on that router, you need to do a transfer to or from 2 wired Ethernet endpoints at the same time since each of the Ethernet ports on the RAX50 are 1GbE, but the internal switching throughput of the router is well above 1 gigabit..

For 802.11ac clients, most 2 stream clients will hit around 650Mbps real world throughput, and 3 stream 802.11ac clients will hit 900-950Mbps.

If you are in a less densely populated area where there aren't a massive number of other APs in range, you may get even higher speeds.

Message 4 of 6
Razor512
Prodigy

Forgot to mntion, the speeds I mentioned are if you are largely in the same room as the router. As you move away from it, and go to other rooms, throughput will drop, though with 2 stream 802.11ax clients that support 160MHz channel width, they can maintain gigabit+ speeds for a good distance.

Message 5 of 6
Joelbronx
Tutor

Thanks Razor for both your emails!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements