× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN DNIS broken when VPN configured for "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" Nighthawk RAX200

ryanjstevens
Follower

LAN DNIS broken when VPN configured for "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" Nighthawk RAX200

Router: Nighthawk RAX200 (Firmware: V1.0.6.138_1.0.76).

I have a the router configured with DDNS using NoIP.com.  

The VPN service is enabled, TUN & TAP Mode Type UDP.

The problem is the setting for "Clients will use this VPN connection to access".

I need to use "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" so all my remote access device will route all  traffic through the router.  But when this option is set instead of "Auto", it breaks the DNIS resolution of all the LAN connected devices.  Meaning, the PC's directly connected to the router are now unable to resolve any internet domain names.

The remote devices (i.e. phone and laptop) connected using OpenVPN do in-fact route all traffic through the router as expected.  And are able to resolve all names correctly.  Only the local network devices are affected.

A bug in the router firmware? or did I miss a setting somewhere?

I wouldn't think the local machines would need to be connected via VPN to get the DNIS to resolve for internet addresses.

2022-04-27 12_49_40-mediasvr - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Message 1 of 2
tiorio
Aspirant

Re: LAN DNIS broken when VPN configured for "All sites on the Internet & Home Network"

I have this same issue, although a firmware downgrade got things working again temporarily.

My DDNS provider is dyndns.org and VPN service configured as you have it.

Exact same issue, DNS breaks for local (wired and wireless) clients.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7