× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Laptop does not recognize Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 (RAX35v2)

98transam
Aspirant

Laptop does not recognize Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 (RAX35v2)

I just purchased the Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 Model RAX35v2 and my desktop computer connects to the internet no problem. The problem is my HP laptop computer will not connect and it does not even show the new Nighthawk router in the connect files as if I have nothing to connect to. I have tried everything I know and nothing works. I don't understand why the laptop does not recognize the new Nighthawk. I need to use both computers, so I would appreciate any help you have. Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

@98transam wrote:

The problem is my HP laptop computer will not connect and it does not even show the new Nighthawk router in the connect files as if I have nothing to connect to.

Cannot connect how? WiFi? Wired?

What are these "connect files"?

What happens when you try to connect?

Windows is a a constant cause of issues. Try to connect to a new network and it will try to protect you.

If other things can see and connect to the router, the problem is  more likely to be on the laptop than the router.

Message 2 of 5
98transam
Aspirant

I cannot connect wireless (wifi). I am not 100% computer literate, so this is sort of hard for me to explain. When I said connect files, what I meant was when you click on the bottom right lower corner of your screen where it should show Netgear is available..........it does not show anything is available to connect to. Netgear should be down there, but there isn't anything there.

When I try to connect, it just says "No Internet". If I click run Windows diagnostics it pops up and says to plug an ethernet cable into the laptop, but I don't have an ethernet cable that is long enough and I cant understand why I would need an ethernet cable to start with when my last Netgear box I had connected no problem to my laptop and I didn't have to do anything, so I'm confused about that part.

When you say try to connect to a new network, do you mean like Firefox or something like that?

Message 3 of 5

@98transam wrote:

When I said connect files, what I meant was when you click on the bottom right lower corner of your screen where it should show Netgear is available..........it does not show anything is available to connect to. Netgear should be down there, but there isn't anything there.

OK. That is probably Windows and its "Network and Internet Settings" in the notification area.

There could be various reasons why it doesn't show the Netgear wifi. The router isn't putting out the wifi, or the client (the wifi bit of your HP laptop) doesn't see it.

Are the WiFi LEDs on the RAX35v2 router on?

You can check the router's wifi by looking for its wifi on something like a mobile phone. If that can connect, then the problem is on the laptop either it is Windows or the way the wifi works on the HP.

Can the laptop connect to a different wifi source?

Right Click that notification area and you should get the Network & Internet window. Is the Wifi on? Does it show the Netgear Wifi?

When I try to connect, it just says "No Internet". If I click run Windows diagnostics it pops up and says to plug an ethernet cable into the laptop, but I don't have an ethernet cable that is long enough and I cant understand why I would need an ethernet cable to start with when my last Netgear box I had connected no problem to my laptop and I didn't have to do anything, so I'm confused about that part.

To me that suggests that your laptop can't find any Wifi. But that does not mean that the router isn't sending it out. You need to check that before blaming the router.

The bottom line is that you have to narrow down where the problem is. The router? The laptop? Or Windows?

When you show Windows a new network – a different router – it may try to protect you from nasties by blocking your access to the Internet.

One more question, what is the modem/gatweay/ONT between the router and the Internet?

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

What actual wireless card is in the laptop? 

Click the search box on the task bar or in the Start Menu and type "Device Manager." Click the "Device Manager" search result. Scroll down through the list of installed devices to "Network Adapters." If the adapter is installed, that's where you'll find it.

Then find out what driver is installed on it. from within that "network adapter" you found, double click on it. And then click on the driver tab in the window that opens. what driver version is it?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7