× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Location of Router Issue or Not

blarochelle
Tutor

Location of Router Issue or Not

I am planning to locate my router on a chrome steel rack in my living room. These are the kind of racks you would normally use in the kitchen. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the metal racks would interfere with the router, and degrade it's performance?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Steel does a great job of blocking wifi. But routers broadcast omnidirection so its more an issue of what's directionally on the other side of the rack. Tough to know plus if the rack is a plate style or rod style. 

Message 2 of 6
blarochelle
Tutor

Thanks for replying to my question! My router is on a wire rack, as pictured in the attachment. There is nothing behind it, and honestly, the transmission needs to go out and up from the living room to the upstairs bedrooms.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You should be fine with that. I've used something like that and the dissipation patterns shouldn't cause an issue.. (depending on whats below it). Not 100% saying it won't be an issue but I've used something similar and it worked fine. 

Message 4 of 6
blarochelle
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!  I didn't think there would be much of an issue, as there really isn't that much metal involved.  I mean, it's not like this is a faraday cage.  I'm going to go ahead and install and run some network stats on the shelf and off the shelf.  I appreciate your feedback!

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Let me know how the speed testing with/without it goes. 

I'd be interested to see if it impacts it. I didn't test mine but it seemed to work fine. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7