× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing 1000mbs (Improper setup?)

Jester11b
Aspirant

Losing 1000mbs (Improper setup?)

Somehow I am loosing internet speed at my router. I have the Rax120. When I connect my pc directly to the modem I achieve about 1900mbs. When I connect to the router it caps around 950. Router -> modem uses the multi gig port, Pc is connected to port 1. I went through the setup and changed the Wan preferences to 5G Ethernet port. I think my problem is ports 1-4 cannot achieve speeds higher the 1 gb. So how do I set this up get get close to the 2gb without going directly to the modem.. side note my cables are cat5
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Losing 1000mbs (Improper setup?)

If you LAG the LAN ports with a device or PC you could see near 2Gb if you connected the multi gig port to a modem that supported the higher multi gig speeds on it's WAN port. 

You could see over 1Gb speeds on the Wifi no 5Ghz AX with a 4x4 MIMO supporting device. 

Otherwise, if you connected the ISP modem to the main WAN ethernet port on the RAX which is only 1Gb, then you could connect the PC to the multigig port on the RAX for this configuration however the bottle neck would be the 1Gb WAN port and LAN ports on the RAX again. 

Overall, if your wanting to see over 1Gb speeds from the ISP side, unless you use LAG, this router isn't really well capable of seamless multi gig speed due to the LAN port limitations. 

The RAXE500 has similar limitations though it has the ability to LAG it's WAN and a LAN port for 2GB speeds then opening up it's 2.5Gb LAN port for a ethernet connected PC here. Though you'd need a ISP modem that supported two WAN ports with LAG. Only NGs CM1100 and CM1200 have this support. 

Otherwise if you want seamless multi gig support, only NGs Orbi 960 series systems have both a mutli gig WAN and a Multi gig LAN port. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Due to the LAN ports max connection rate by design is 1000Mpbs, you'll never see much over 900Mpbs ever. 

CAT5 is only rated up to 100Mpbs officially. CAT6 would be recommended though this will not get past the LAN port limitations. 

You may see over 1000Mpbs on the 5Ghz AX wireless if you have a 4x4 MIMO supporting device. 

Message 2 of 7
Jester11b
Aspirant

So if the lan ports can’t go over 1000 why do they claim up to 5gb for wired connections on the data sheet?

Edit: fixed spelling
Message 3 of 7
Jester11b
Aspirant

For reference I attached the data sheet which stats it is possible to achieve at least 2gbs.  So What do I need to do to see this on my pc?

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you LAG the LAN ports with a device or PC you could see near 2Gb if you connected the multi gig port to a modem that supported the higher multi gig speeds on it's WAN port. 

You could see over 1Gb speeds on the Wifi no 5Ghz AX with a 4x4 MIMO supporting device. 

Otherwise, if you connected the ISP modem to the main WAN ethernet port on the RAX which is only 1Gb, then you could connect the PC to the multigig port on the RAX for this configuration however the bottle neck would be the 1Gb WAN port and LAN ports on the RAX again. 

Overall, if your wanting to see over 1Gb speeds from the ISP side, unless you use LAG, this router isn't really well capable of seamless multi gig speed due to the LAN port limitations. 

The RAXE500 has similar limitations though it has the ability to LAG it's WAN and a LAN port for 2GB speeds then opening up it's 2.5Gb LAN port for a ethernet connected PC here. Though you'd need a ISP modem that supported two WAN ports with LAG. Only NGs CM1100 and CM1200 have this support. 

Otherwise if you want seamless multi gig support, only NGs Orbi 960 series systems have both a mutli gig WAN and a Multi gig LAN port. 

Message 5 of 7
Jester11b
Aspirant

@FURRYe38   Thank you for your insight!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors