× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Many issues with Nighthawk RAX80

Mark-CS
Aspirant

Many issues with Nighthawk RAX80

Hi,

the Nighthawk RAX80 is my first Netgear router and unfortunately, I've got multiple problems with it. It feels like using a test device...

1. I turned the RAX80 off and on again and now, some of my configurations have been gone. For example, I enabled VPN (and it was working) and after the restart, VPN is now disabled. It's the same with QoS. I disabled it and now it's back on again. Why is that?

2. When I enable QoS my WiFi gets extremely slow. In addition, the device cannot connect to Netgear's servers to update the database.

3. Sometimes, I have to disable WiFi on my devices and turn it back on to get full speed again. When I use LAN instead it's always fast. So it's only a WiFi issue.

4. For some reason, the guest network is extremely slow sometimes.

FirmwareV1.0.10.140_1.0.79
Modem (this is working just fine)Zyxel VMG3006-D70A
Devices (for example)MacBook Pro (M1), Google Pixel 6 Pro
Smart Connect is enabled 
Signal: 100%, Channel: Very good 

Could you please help me with this?

Thanks,

Mark

Message 1 of 11

@Mark-CS wrote:
Firmware V1.0.10.140_1.0.79
Modem (this is working just fine) Zyxel VMG3006-D70A
Devices (for example) MacBook Pro (M1), Google Pixel 6 Pro
Smart Connect is enabled  
Signal: 100%, Channel: Very good  

According to Google, your "modem" looks to be a modem/router. It may be working "just fine", but unless you have told it not to it is also trying to work like your network's router. Not a good idea if you want to put another router behind it.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 11
Mark-CS
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick reply, but unfortunately, it's not helpful. The device I'm using only has "modem mode". So it's a modem not a router. I don't want to put the NETGEAR device in bad light, but with my last FRITZ!Box router it worked flawlessly. It's the WiFi of the RAX80 that's causing the problems (Ethernet works fine).

Message 3 of 11

@Mark-CS wrote:

The device I'm using only has "modem mode".

The description of that device is odd.

It calls itself a "Bridge Modem". But look closely and it has four ethernet ports, usually sign of router features. The data sheet description also talks of "pure bridged mode".

with my last FRITZ!Box router it worked flawlessly.

Not the same device, and not anything that anyone can comment on given the lack of details.

@Mark-CS wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply, but unfortunately, it's not helpful.

Fine. You came her asking for thoughts, if you aren't interested in even investigating suggestions you are on your own.

Message 4 of 11
Mark-CS
Aspirant

Sorry, I was very annoyed because I need this router (very expensive btw.) to work when I am in home office, and the answer you gave me was like "Did you forget to turn on the device?" for advanced users like me... 😄 Nevermind, and thanks again for trying to help. I guess the device is just broken and only NETGEAR could fix this. Maybe I'll wait for an update or sell it on eBay. I'll have to think about it.

Message 5 of 11

Troubleshooting is a painstaking step by step process. It starts by ruling out the obvious issues before moving on to the next level..

I am surprised that someone with your experience is puzzled by this bit in our first message:

2. When I enable QoS my WiFi gets extremely slow. In addition, the device cannot connect to Netgear's servers to update the database.

QoS is well known to slow down routers because of the drain on processor power. It is also a dying technology designed for the DSL era. It is useless above about 200 Mbps.

When people turn up here with issues, "turn off QoS" is the first bit of advice.

As to this bit:

3. Sometimes, I have to disable WiFi on my devices and turn it back on to get full speed again. When I use LAN instead it's always fast. So it's only a WiFi issue.

That is one symptom of "Double NAT". It happens because, after you may the connection the devices "get confused".

Then again, you probably new all this already.

Message 6 of 11
Mark-CS
Aspirant

Sorry but this is out of context.

"It's the same with QoS. I disabled it and now it's back on again." <-- For this reason, I have mentioned it.

"That is one symptom of "Double NAT""

But I don't have a double NAT. Both devices are in the same network. But nevermind.

I'll keep this device and use it in AP mode with another router, because the range of this device is really good. Hopefully, they'll fix the issues some day.
Message 7 of 11

@Mark-CS wrote:

But I don't have a double NAT. Both devices are in the same network. But nevermind.

Being on "the same network", whatever that means, can be the problem.

Your reluctance to provide details is a big obstacle.

Message 8 of 11
Mark-CS
Aspirant

I don't think it's an issue that both devices are in the same network. I connected LAN 1 of my modem to the RAX80 to access the user interface when I am not at home. If you can explain why this can be a problem, sure, I'll listen. Maybe you are right and I am missing something.
Message 9 of 11
Mark-CS
Aspirant

It's weird, but the issues seem to have taken care of themselves. Hopefully, it stays that way. 🤞

Side note: I didn't know about this hidden page: routerlogin.net/debug.htm
It seems to be possible to write logs to a USB storage device. Maybe it's useful to me in the future or it can help anyone else.

Message 10 of 11

@Mark-CS wrote:

It's weird, but the issues seem to have taken care of themselves. Hopefully, it stays that way. 🤞

Telepathy. By visiting this place you focus the brainpower here to your problem by remote control.

71GV79NPpZL._UL1163_

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7