× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mind blowing terrible support

mark76w
Guide

Mind blowing terrible support

I am able to replicate an issue on an R9000, replaced the hardware and same issue, Netgear wont support then they will then they wont. So I change to a RAX200 same issue straight out the box.

The support i have received to date over the last 7-8 weeks can only be described as disgusting/terrible/outrageous. Customer support will not talk with me and instead tell L2/L1 to keep giving me excuses. You want to replace the hardware and here we are 3 weeks later and Im still calling to ask what is happening.

There is no escalation path i can follow, the directors do not have messaging on Linkedin active (speaks volumes). A complaint means nothing to netgear.    

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

What actual issue are you having (in detail)?

Its been my experience that if 2 different routers are having the same issue, it tends not to be the routers and tends to be something in the settings/setup. 

Message 2 of 14
mark76w
Guide

The technical details as is your assumption is not relevant, the issue has been accepted, the thread is about mind blowingly terrible support.

Regardless of config/setting/bug the support is terrible.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

I'm not arguing that support kind of sucks. And the 90 days is really a buzz kill/pita. 

Just didn't know if you'd fixed the issue or not because there wasn't many details. 

support on the forums (from the public) tends to actually be quicker so was trying to help. 

Message 4 of 14
mark76w
Guide

Appreciate the trying to help, technically I have it covered. I am more interested in that I cannot complain, there is no escalation path (i have requested details) and every time I complain and request to speak to a manager or someone in a position to offer up more than meaningless apologies. 

Access control is problematic - not much to configure but results are random. 

- Access control enabled with block all new devices. I can replicate that the blocked device will not be able to be added to the allow list (it might take a few hours or a reboot of router or not added at all).

Found the above issue on the R7000, support blamed it it on the amount of devices, they advised to get a R9000, the R9000 didnt work either so support swapped out the hardware - same issue. However as was now outside the 90 day BS "complimentary support" they would not support it so went with the RAX200.

Straight out the box I replicated the issue and for the last 7 or 8 weeks been messed about no end, I have been given a dev firmware that must have been written by a child and untested as it broke the router so badly - no security just point to router IP and straight in to the menu as 1 example.

My complaints go no where and Im expected to listen to the absolute nonsensical drivel coming for customer services that havent got a clue about the products and the tech reps that cant even open zip/rar files.

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

Level 1 support is pretty meaningless/worthless. I've dealt with them once before and it was a waste of my time as well. 

A bit sad. They were more interested in replacing the device (not what I was trying to figure out) versus actually helping to see if there was a root cause. 

so its issues with access control you're having? 

What firmware are you running on the RAX?

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

I know @Altsai was involved with the RAX200 a bit. Not sure if there's any awareness of issues but they'd be a good one to clue in. 

In terms of wanting to address certain complaints, potentially @ChristineT or @DarrenM could help. 

They might even be able to get you in contact with L2

Message 6 of 14
mark76w
Guide

Its BT FTTP and LAN con from the ONT to the router.

Original fw was 1.0.5.126 and then repeated on the next 2(?) versions or 3 if you count the dev fw that turned the router in to a slug.

The DNS went wobbly (none) after setting up QoS - beleive there is a fix for this now.

The UI is awful, login and get a timeout in seconds when navigating thru menus

The UI is not user friendly on some menus where it you get no feedback as to whether the change is saved or not.

The backup either fails or succeeds - cant tell as the restore doesnt work.

And the main gripe is Access Control,

if enabled and set to block new devices....

I cannot allow the device and Ive tried that thru the edit option and the allow option (2 ways in same menu to achieve the same result).

This was the driver for the dev FW which sort of fixed/helped the issue at the detriment to making the rest of the router unusable.

I called up today and moaned asking what happened over the last 3 weeks and now they are sending a replacement unit. I'll unbox it, not update it (will test first) video the results of trying to restore the old config and getting access control working properly. Then I'll update to current firmware and repeat.

The reality is likely that it will be exactly the same issues, I'll never ever be able to speak to someone in management to get their opportunity to explain or fix the mind blowing terrible support and poor QA  - its not likely that the same issue on the r7000, 2 x r9000 and now rax200 is all hardware....

I'll just return the devices (2xRAX),bin the R9000 and R7000 and look at other brands. 

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

When you install the new one, don't use the backup. 

When the RAX200 released, the underlying drivers from broadcom where still getting quite frequent updates. 

Sometimes, those can cause issues with old settings. so if you've been using an old backup and restoring it, you could just be keeping a bad situation going. so I'd try from a fresh install. 

In terms of the browser refresh/log out. did you try a different browser? Or device?

Message 8 of 14
mark76w
Guide

Ok thanks for the info, noted about the backup.  Bit disappointing but that is to be expected it seems.

The timeouts were with chrome, edge and IE11. And tried 2 laptops.

Also noted that my 1gig connection shows as <500mbps doing a speed test thru the UI and when nothing else is connected, i beleive this is another featurette of this product.

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

The built in speedtest isn't accurate over 500mbps because it rarely chooses the best test server. I recommend testing on a pc/laptop hardwired into the router and using a browser. Then actually test on different servers in the browser as not all of them can saturate gigabit. 

Message 10 of 14
Topology
Virtuoso

@mark76w, with respect to the quality of NETGEAR technical support, my experience is that there is a difference between (a) spoken telephone support and (b) written “email” support. Support cases submitted in writing (with instructions that you want replies in writing) produce answers that are reasonably timely and helpful. However, speaking to a technical support representative on the telephone can be less satisfactory.

Message 11 of 14
mark76w
Guide

To conclude my journey, I managed to guess the support managers email and got a L3 support person involved with a dev firmware issued that I tested (V1.0.10.140_1.0.79). This was ok and has been released.

Its been 2months of hell to get resolution on such a matter.  

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

Sucks to take 2 months to get that and to have to guess a contact.  Was hoping some of the other mods I tagged would be contacting you earlier to help. 

Message 13 of 14
mark76w
Guide

Got there in the end tho!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements