× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model RAX70 issue with log in for router

Heather0791
Follower

Model RAX70 issue with log in for router

We have run into an issue where for my husband's laptop from his job, he is unable to use it at his work location due to the fact that the IP address for the routers is the same at our home and at the headquarters location. When we tried to let them sign into our router remotely to change it, we ran into the issue of not being able to get past the security questions. Honestly, I don't recall setting up any security questions. I was wondering if there was a way to reset the security questions we have to answer in order to remedy this situation. 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Model RAX70 issue with log in for router

Factory reset the router and set it up from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard and be sure to write down important information for safe keeping. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Model RAX70 issue with log in for router

@Heather0791 wrote:

We have run into an issue where for my husband's laptop from his job, he is unable to use it at his work location due to the fact that the IP address for the routers is the same at our home and at the headquarters location.

This is a strange happening.

If this is the IP address of the device on the local network then the IP address for most routers is the same all over the place.It is highly unlikely that these routers woll be on the same Internet (WAN) IP address.

I have two routers 20 feet apart, both have the usual IP address 192.168.1.1 and have no problem getting devices to work on both.

What happens when your husband tries to use things it at his work location. Why is he using the IP address?

I can't see any reason why resetting the router at your end is going to make the slightest bit of difference to what happens.

It might be a better approach to explain what is going on at tour ened. What is your husban doing? Is it a wifi connection? A wired connection?

What messages does he see when he hits this brick wall?

When we tried to let them sign into our router remotely to change it, we ran into the issue of not being able to get past the security questions. Honestly, I don't recall setting up any security questions. I was wondering if there was a way to reset the security questions we have to answer in order to remedy this situation. 

This may have something to so with "password recovery". That is the only time that this sort of thing crops up.

If you are talking about access to the browser's graphical user interface (GUI), the router's controls, these are on the label for your device, along with the default wifi login details. The username is fixed at admin. The default password is password.

Did you ever change that password?

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then again, it is hard to know what you expect6 to happen if someone does get into your router.

I still think you need to diagnose the core issue of the laptop not working.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7