× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multi gig port setup for 10g switch

Mark99
Aspirant

Multi gig port setup for 10g switch

I have a Virgin modem connected to my RAX2000 internet port (yellow socket).  Is it possible to connect a 10gb LAN switch to the Multi-Gig 2.5G/1G ethernet port on the router to use 2.5G LAN?  If so, does the Multi-gig port need to be enabled in the Setup/Internet/WAN Preference menu?  If the Multi-Gig port can be used on the LAN rather than for WAN it seems strange that the option is in the Internet menu!

I have connected my 10G switch to the Multi-Gig port on the router but it is not detected (port 5 light does not illuminate).

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Mark99
Aspirant

Re: Multi gig port setup for 10g switch

Problem now solved, the 2.5gb multi-gig port does not work on my Rax200.  Defective ethernet socket, so cannot be used. Tried 4 different cables with direct connection to PC and router failed to connect. Looks like I need a new router if I want 2.5gb network!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe there is a switch in the Routers web page on how that port is used. 

I would presume that if the 10Gb LAN switch is backward compatible for 2.5Gb speeds if you set the RAX to use that port for the LAN side and if you use a good quality CAT6A STP cable, the connection should work. Though Id check with the 10Gb LAN switch to ensure its fully compatible and working with 2.5Gb speeds. 

Message 2 of 3
Mark99
Aspirant

Problem now solved, the 2.5gb multi-gig port does not work on my Rax200.  Defective ethernet socket, so cannot be used. Tried 4 different cables with direct connection to PC and router failed to connect. Looks like I need a new router if I want 2.5gb network!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7