× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My new -AX capable laptop is connecting to my RAX80 at 2.4GB per WiFi status

Big-Rich
Tutor

My new -AX capable laptop is connecting to my RAX80 at 2.4GB per WiFi status

I have -AX enabled on my RAX80 router (latest F/W) and connected my new AX capable laptop to the 5G WiFi and when I check "WiFi Status" of the adapter in Windows, it says "Speed: 2.4Gbps".

The laptop is about 10 feet from the router and the signal strength is maximum and the laptop says it's connected to the 5G SSID.

Why is it connecting at such a slow speed?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: My new -AX capable laptop is connecting to my RAX80 at 2.4GB per WiFi status

You need to check with the laptops mfr or the wifi adatper mfr to see what is supported for connection rates on this adapter. Depending on model and design support most max connection rates are 2400Mbps on 5Ghz AX mode. Some devices if they support 4x4 antenna MIMO designs can have connection rates up to 4800Mpbs however this is rarely seen. I know, I tried. Smiley Embarassed

Most phones, pads and adapters are rates for 2x2 antenna support so max rates can be around 1300 to 2400Mpbs depending. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Big-Rich
Tutor

Re: My new -AX capable laptop is connecting to my RAX80 at 2.4GB per WiFi status

@Big-Rich wrote:Here is a screenshot of the 5G connection showing 2.4Gbps speed...

WiFi speed 24.jpg

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please use the Choose File button to attach screen shots to post otherwise we have to wait for moderators to approve pictures. 

What is the max connection rate supported on this laptop. Consult the mfrs support for this information. 

Message 3 of 7
Big-Rich
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please use the Choose File button to attach screen shots to post otherwise we have to wait for moderators to approve pictures. 

I'm sorry, I don't even see a "Choose File" button when I'm posting or replying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the max connection rate supported on this laptop. Consult the mfrs support for this information. 

Oops, I got the 2.4GHz mixed up with the 2.4bps. My bad. I am connected to the %GHz WiFi and my connection speed is 2.4Gbps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you @FURRYe38 
Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

What link speed do you expect to connect at? 

Most laptop adapters are only 2x2 antenna devices. so even if the router is rated at 4800mbps, thats over a 4x4 antenna connection. 

So the max most laptops will get is 2400mbps. 

Message 5 of 7
Big-Rich
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

What link speed do you expect to connect at? 

Most laptop adapters are only 2x2 antenna devices. so even if the router is rated at 4800mbps, thats over a 4x4 antenna connection. 

So the max most laptops will get is 2400mbps. 

I already explained that I got the 2.4GHz mixed up with the 2.4Gbps, so my connection speed is 2.4Gbps (same as your reference to 2400mbps if you move the decimal).

It was my error @plemans

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to check with the laptops mfr or the wifi adatper mfr to see what is supported for connection rates on this adapter. Depending on model and design support most max connection rates are 2400Mbps on 5Ghz AX mode. Some devices if they support 4x4 antenna MIMO designs can have connection rates up to 4800Mpbs however this is rarely seen. I know, I tried. Smiley Embarassed

Most phones, pads and adapters are rates for 2x2 antenna support so max rates can be around 1300 to 2400Mpbs depending. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7