× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIGHTHAWK AX6000 NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET

RenatoBraga
Aspirant

NIGHTHAWK AX6000 NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET

My access to internet is provided by a cable moden ARRIS. I followed all the instruction to connect the Nighthawk to the internet (though one of the ports of the Arris cable moden). Nevertheless, the app on my mobile detects the router, says "cables connected", but after some seconds says "internet not connected ...". Does someone know what is happening?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
lantrick
Tutor

Re: NIGHTHAWK AX6000 NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET

You have too little information to know for certain , but you can try these steps.  

1.  You would need to power cycle the ARRIS after switching devices connected to it. If the ARRIS is an MTA (telephone and internet) it has a back up battery inside and you will need to stick a paper clip into the small into the hole on the back that says "reset" and press the switch inside.  Unpluging it won't turn it off if it has a back up battery. 

2. Connect you computer directly t the Arris and see it the intemet works. If not , get this working first. Then try the router again. 

If after you have powercycles everything, and verified that the Arris can connet to the internet. Call Netgear phone support. 

Message 2 of 6
RenatoBraga
Aspirant

Thanks!

It is a internet and phone Arris cable moden and when I plugged a computer internet works.

So, I´ll try to reset the Arris moden.

Message 3 of 6

@RenatoBraga wrote:

Thanks!

It is a internet and phone Arris cable moden...

That could be one of a nunber of devices.

A model number if more useful than the brand. Most hardware has a label with a  model number on it.

Message 4 of 6
RenatoBraga
Aspirant

ARRIS TG1692

Message 5 of 6

@RenatoBraga wrote:

ARRIS TG1692

That ius why the exact details are important. It looks like that is a modem/router. The RAX120 is also a router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7