× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIghthawk AX2400

GJDan
Follower

NIghthawk AX2400

I am trying to set up a security camera (Simpli Safe) and the camera requires only 2.4 - my internet provider sends both 2.4 and 5.0 but the camera won't connect to my NetGear router R6250 since the router  has both 2.4 and 5.0 being broadcast.   My question is "will the AX2400 only broadcast the 2.4 and block the 5.0"?

Thank you for any info regarding the AX2400

Message 1 of 2

Re: NIghthawk AX2400

@GJDan wrote:

I am trying to set up a security camera (Simpli Safe) and the camera requires only 2.4 - my internet provider sends both 2.4 and 5.0

It isn't the ISP that delivers the wifi, it is your R6250.

Sounds like sounds like you may have yet another badly written Internet of Things (IoT) toy

If you are using an app on a mobile phone to set up the SimpliSafe camera, you should be able to ignore the bit about  2.4 and 5.0.

The first thing to do is to ask the people who made the SimpliSafe what you are supposed to do.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – SimpliSafe

With most IoT stuff, there is no need to mess around with separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.0. Many, many people have connected devices using a simple and temporary fix that does not break the whole reason for buying a Mesh wifi system.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. The setup app should be able to connect to 5 GHz wifi and still talk to things on 2.4 GHz.

Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your router's wifi set up (see below)
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people.

To work out how to turn of the 5 GHz wifi, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your router's model number and check the section in the manual Enable or Disable the WiFi Radios. The exact working may differ for your router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7